Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bumper to Bumper Tech for over 25 years. Access to updated software and equipment
12331040

1999 nissan sentra: ecu..distributor spark plugs and wires..trans

Customer Question

1999 nissan sentra 1.6L repaired ecu replaced distributor spark plugs and wires and battery i have no spark but engine turns over great, yes i checked grounds,yes i tried switching the cam position sensor and the angle sensor in trans right below no change. =/ what is going on here this car is turning into a nightmare
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.

Scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

Scott :

I would like you to take a test lamp and check for battery voltage at the White/Red wire at the Distributor and the Black/Red wires at the Injectors. Key on/engine off.

What ya got?

Customer:

hi scott thanks for helping me out, i will test them soon as i can and let you know however i did take a quick look just to locate the wires and i dont see those colors. at my distributor there is a blue and black on the 2 pin connector which i believe is the coil? and two black ones below it

Customer:

at my fuel injectors i just checked and they have two different color sets some have yellow some have black i will look more closely once i can test them

Scott :

The Dist wires will be in the larger connector out side, not inside of the dist.

The Injectors are probably dirty. Remove some of the loom or take around the wire to get a better idea.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
checked the distributor getting 12 volts will check injectors asap sorry for major delay work has me doing crazy hours totally different each day so i do what i can.
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.
That is fine. We actually has 2 days without rain here... and the day looks clear, and I have grass to my... well you know, so I will be in and out today. sneaked out of the shop early Wed to mow... and on the way home... it rained hard... go figure.

I will check in later.
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bumper to Bumper Tech for over 25 years. Access to updated software and equipment
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
both getting power turns out after engine was swapped shop mixed up my connectors among other stupid things they messed up on me. for your reference my issue turned out to be bad ecu and the 2 pin connector on distrib and on trans were wrong, i kept ignoring my thought to switch them because the wrong one on distrib had an orange insulator and exact shape like the connection to it where as the right connection is a big larger and totally different color on inside of it. oh well problem solved thanks
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.

Good job, glad you got it rectified. Thank you very much for the accept.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i do have one other issue if you can help if not its fine i have all data to figure it out, tachometer isnt moving its at 0
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.
As you can see by the diagram below, the Tach signal is sent to the meter head from the ECM on the Blue/Orange Wire from ECM Pin#3 to the meter head Pin# 29.

If you get a Pulsing signal {I use an LED lamp} at Pin#29, then the tach is bad. If you do not have a pulsing signal... then you could have an ECM issue.