Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

disconnect electrical connectors on a 2004 nissan frontier?

How do you disconnect electrical connectors on a 2004 nissan frontier?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Use a flat blade screwdriver to press hard on the tab located on the upper middle part of the front face of the connector.Then pull up at the same time and it should release.Sometimes you need to push down on the connector then push the lock tab in hard and pull up and it will release let me know if this works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got the connector apart. Very difficult while lying on your back with arms extended through crossbeams. Need three hands, almost. Now I will test to see if the switch is the problem with the backup lights. According to a diagram I found (after much searching) the Backup light switch is the switch forward on the tansmission and the similar switch to the rear of it is the neutral safety switch. Is this correct?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes thats correct and these are known to short out.This needs to be checked next.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jumped across the line coming to switch and lights came on. I need to replace switch. 2 more questions and I think I can get this thing done. Any suggestions on how to get a wrench on that switch. It is high on the transmission and somewhat recessed. Once removed, can I drive with it out. Thanks.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes once removed you can drive with it disconnected.As for getting a wrench on it you can use an offset box wrench or sometimes you can get a socket on there with a swivel extension.These would be the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've tried a crescent and an open end wrench. No luck. And, of course, the other switch (neutral) is in the way! I guess I can cut the wires off and get a socket on it. And as for driving. I meant switch completely removed, not just disconnected. Is that what you meant in your answer?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes it will be fine I would insert a plug into it while driving so nothing gets into the hole.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.