Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

Nissan Altima: radio display..my 03..stopped working..cd player

Customer Question

The radio display on my 03 Nissan Altima stopped working. I can hear and browse through radio station and use the cd player but no display whatsoever. i tap it gently and sometimes the display works again. How can I fix it? Thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj.

Dj :

The most common cause for a problem like this is a ribbon cable pulled out of the connector.

Dj :

That's a good thing because it's about the only thing that you can fix without a lot of equipment and training.

Dj :

You will have to take the radio out and take the face off. It's always best to take digital pictures, lots of pictures during every step.

Dj :

Once you get the face off, you will see a couple of ribbons that plug into circuit boards. The ribbons are locked into connectors on the circuit board. There is a rectangular lock ring. Pull the ring up and away from the circuit board. This will unlock the ribbon. Then make certain that the ribbon is pushed all the way to the bottom of the connector and then push the lock ring down.

Dj :

These ribbons are really easy to tear, and if you do, the radio is junk. So don't stress them. Be gentle.

Dj :

Here is a picture of a ribbon connector.

Dj :

The weight of the components is enough to tear the ribbon cable. So make certain you have a big enough surface to work on and take your time.

Dj :

Please let me know if you have any questions on this or if there is anything more I can do to help you.

Dj :

Dj

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician, 30+ years in the car repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Dj.

Thanks for your answer.

I went ahead and took the face off. My circuit does not have any ribbons. However, I saw that the LCD display had a black spot in one of the corners as if one of the smaller components inside of it burne out. it seems obvious to me that is why the lcd display does not turn on at all anymore. Is it possible to buy the lcd on its own and replace it?

Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

I'm not aware of any source for an LCD for your radio. It can be fixed, but the cost is more than getting a used radio from a junk yard or an aftermarket radio from a place like Crutchfield.com.

A used radio is between $50 and $100 on Ebay. I got an XM, ipod, USB, Pandora radio and CD player from Clutchfield for $220.

Dj

Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Good morning,

Have you decided what you want to do on this?

Is there anything more I can do to help you?

Dj