Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

2005 Nissan Maxima: high idle..idle air volume recalibration..throttle

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima. It has a high idle (2000rpm) when cold and a rolling idle (1600-2000rpm) when warm. I performed the idle air volume recalibration, accelerator pedal released position learning, and throttle valve closed position learning. All values coming out of the throttle valve and the accelerator pedal sensors are within spec. Timing, load calculation, MAF, coolant temp, intake air temp all in spec. There is a P0507 code. PCV valve and hose are good. looked for vacuum leak didn't find anything obvious. The fuel systems are going from open to closed loop with the rolling idle. There is a sound that is coming form the front of the engine that is only during cold start up and last 5-10 seconds sounds like a fast tick.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 4 years ago.

NISSAN TECH :

hi the noise in the front of the engine is from a broken timing chain guide, you will need to replace the timing chains and guides to fix the noise , as for the idle did you use a scan tool to reset it or did you use the manual reset ?

JACUSTOMER-k76euvb8- :

scan tool to reset

JACUSTOMER-k76euvb8- :

what should I try for high idle and P0507 code

NISSAN TECH :

and the tool told you the reset was completed ?

JACUSTOMER-k76euvb8- :

I did a manual reset just have an ethos scan tool. the other guy thought it was with a scanner

NISSAN TECH :

ok try this the idle is too high for the relearn to work so you will need to lower the idle speed manually by running the car plug the scanner in and start the idle relearn then unplug the injector one at a time till the idle speed go below 1000 rpm and see if that will work , if it do you will need to reconnect the injectors and do the relearn again

NISSAN TECH :

one more thing you will need to unplug the mas air flow sensor with the engine running to get the idle to stop going up and down

JACUSTOMER-k76euvb8- :

i will be doing it manually with that be fine

JACUSTOMER-k76euvb8- :

will do i will let you know.

NISSAN TECH :

it will not work manually you need the scan tool , the manual way will only work if you dont have the high idle

JACUSTOMER-k76euvb8- :

i removed three injectors and the maf idle still at 1500. what do i need to do if i cant get the idle down and dont have the scan tool.

JACUSTOMER-k76euvb8- :

your thinking it just needs an idle calibration?

NISSAN TECH :

if you dont have a scan tool take it to the shop there is nothing you can do to fix it without one