jpaug01
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Experience:  15 years nissan,infiniti exp nissan and infiniti master tech,GTR certified ase master L1 certified
6212151

95 nissan: 4x4..transmission (automatic) quits shifting..speedometer

Customer Question

I have a 95 nissan 4x4 extended cab pickup the transmission (automatic) quits shifting out of first gear when the speedometer stops working. What is the best way to determine the problem? It has started and stopped this three or four times so far.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 5 years ago.

jpaug01 :

Hi,my name is John,welcome to Justanswer! In the past I have seen the meter assy go bad causing the speedometer to stop working.We have replaced speed sensors too and the most affective way to check is to replace parts with known good parts.Since you probably dont have this advantage,I have seen many more meters assy go bad than speed sensors.Is your ck engine light on?

JACUSTOMER-7vjss013- :

yes. the check engine light comes on when the speedometer quits

jpaug01 :

Have you pulled a code and if you have what is the code?Thanks

JACUSTOMER-7vjss013- :

I have not pulled any codes but everything worked when I drove for a test drive today.Will the speedometer cause the automatic transmission to stay in 1st gear. It shifts fine when the speedometer is working. Also if I take it out of e-auto will it shift out of 1st in power mode.

jpaug01 :

Yes if the speedometer isn't operating it will "confuse " transmission operation because it it thinks the truck has stopped moving or is not moving.When taking it out of e-auto you are controlling the trans manually. Does the truck sit around a lot?

JACUSTOMER-7vjss013- :

yes I just bought the truck and it is going to be used for hunting

jpaug01 :

Im sorry i was out for the easter weekend I recommend making sure the battery is fully charged and tests good,sometimes a weak battery can cause problems by the voltage dropping to low during start up,Thanks!