Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

i have Nissan 2005 Altima SL. and have code p1273

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
Hi there!
Did you change the front or rear O2 sensor?
Do you hear any rattling or anything from the heat shields on the converter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a 3.5 engine and the front heat shield has dent, like run over some rock.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I see, you listed it as a 2.5 L
Ok Which sensor did you replace? The one nearest the radiator?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
OK, that is bank #2, the code is for sensor 1 on bank 1. The one closest to the firewall. I am sure once the correct sensor is replaced, it will resolve the problem for you.

It's in the exhaust manifold and quite a challenge to get to.
Here is a diagram:
graphic
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but i have replace both O2 sensor before Cat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but i have replace both O2 sensor before the cat.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I am confused, you said you replaced the O2 sensor on bank #2, now you are saying you have replaced both, please be clear on what you have done to this car so I can assist you. I am only as good as the information you are providing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we had replace the timing chain about 3 months ago, and last customer brought the car back for check engine lite on. code # P1273. Since i was not sure which one is the bank #1 and # 2 we replace both O2 Sensor before the Cat.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok,there is a service bulletin for the code as well.
Check the heat shield on the bank 1 exhaust pipe and make sure it's tight. If any of the welds are broken or you can remove it by hand, then the converter needs to be replaced. HERE is a copy of the bulletin to help you out.