Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Nissan/Datsun Frontier 4x4: how to remove the transmission

how to remove the transmission in a 1998 frontier 4x4,4 cylinder ,to replace clutch
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Where are you stuck? At the torsion bars?

Customer:

yes,at the torsion bars

Jay :

hehe

Jay :

That is what I figured

Customer:

whats next

Jay :

I still remember the ride height for the 4x4's, but not the 4'x2's

Jay :

Put the truck down on the ground if you can, to measure the ride hight

Jay :

from the bottom of the tire to the top part of the fender above the wheel

Jay :

So when you put the torsion bars back in you can set the ride hight

Jay :

Then put it back up

Customer:

do i have to remove the torsion bars to remove the transmission

Jay :

On the 4x4's yea

Jay :

4x2's no

Jay :

Oh this is a 4x4

Jay :

ride height is around 36

Jay :

Use a 17 mm wrench and hold the top nut by the adjuster

Jay :

Then use impact gun to loosen the torsion bar. It will spin that top nut up, so you can then spin the second nut.

Jay :

Some reason I remember just cracking the top one loose

Jay :

and using a socket to hold both nuts

Customer:

you haven't answered my question about the transmission removal to replace the clutch

Jay :

So when I gun'd it loose they would both move

Jay :

I am telling you how to remove the torsion bars.

Jay :

The do need to come out to remove the trans

Customer:

you are no help,sorry to have bothered you,goodby

Jay :

But you need to take the tension off them before you remove them

Jay :

What is it that I am not understanding?

Customer:

how

Jay :

You asked if they needed to be removed

Jay :

I am explaining, then i will give you images

Jay :

Let me give you images first... 1 secon

Jay :

Click HERE to download the information from the factory service manual

Jay :

I have removed these a ton of times.

Jay :

First you need to release the tension of the torsion bar.

Jay :

That is in the back side of the torsion bar

Jay :

There is a adjuster bolt that has two 17mm nuts on top and a 19 mm on the bottom, Just crack the top 17 nut loose, and then gun the 19mm counter clock wise to release tension

Jay :

Then you can remove the front 14 mm and 17mm retainer feet of the torsion bar, then the four 17 mm bolts for the rear cross member support in the rear.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer