Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2005 nissan altima: wont start..misses..it runs fine..it wont stay on

Customer Question

my 2005 nissan altima wont start. it sometimes turns over and then misses but then seems to warm up and it runs fine, but now it wont stay on. I have change the plugs already.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
Hi there!
Was the check engine light on when it did start?
Also, 4 or 6 cylinder engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the check engine light was on, and it is a 4 cylinder 2.5
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
OK, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you know what codes were stored?They start with a P
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, sorry I dont know the codes.The cam and crank sensors have been changed also
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, can you check to see if the security light is solid or flashing when you crank the engine over?
Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it seems to be solid for the most part, but yesterday when I started it for the last time, it missed for a minutes, and I noticed that the service engine light was flashing. I had not noticed it do that before. It eventually stayed on.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, The light flashing indicates a misfire for sure, and with the rough running there to back it up.
I think I need to have you check for spark.
Take one of the coils off, then take one of the old plugs and plug it in. Then, set it next to something metal and crank the engine. Check to see if you get a spark out of the plug.
If you need to, get a helper to crank the engine while you watch the plug. Do not hold the coil or plug, just watch.
Let me know.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes there is spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, can you pull one plug and see if it is wet? Like it has gas on it?
Let me know!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the plugs are wet with gas.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, she might just be flooded.
Try holding the gas pedal at 3/4 of the way to the floor and crank the engine in 30 second bursts. This can help clear it if it is flooded.
Try it and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dried out all of the spark plugs and it turned right over. What might becausing the flooding?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Well, it is possible the old plugs were the problem.
I also see head gasket issues with these. Usually after sitting over night,on first start up it will run rough. Coolant doesn't burn. So if you are having any cooling system issues, or lack of heat inside the car, the head gasket should be checked.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you very much, that was very helpful.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the accept!