Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

2006 Sentra: I cant reverse..other gears are fine...with 70,000 miles

I can't reverse. All other gears are fine. 2006 Sentra with 70,000 miles.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Roy :

HI!

Roy :

What happens when you put into reverse does it make any noises

Customer:

It sounds like a squeaky belt noise. But if I park on a slightly sloped area, I can slowly back out but it takes a while because I try reverse first, then when it stops I put it in drive as far as I can go, then usually the reverse will work again.

Customer:

All other gears are good. My cousing also said that when he looked at it, there was almost no fluid in the transmission, although Firestone did a trans flush about two mos before

Roy :

ok I would start by getting fluid inspected again if low will take a while to go into reverse , if fluid is ok then you could have a pressure loss inside transmission or a bad clutch pack or reverse brake band inside. burnt not grabbing the drun to get into reverse .

Roy :

if fluid is ok you could need a transmission over haul to fix a bad band or clutch pack

Customer:

Not grabbing the drun?

Customer:

What does that usually cost?

Roy :

there is a band inside transmission if burnt it will not grab the brake drum that activates the reverse to work , a over haul runs around $1500.00

Roy :

or you could get a used transmission for around half of that price

Customer:

That's a lot of fixing for a car that only have 70K miles

Roy :

I know this is not a cheap fix for transmisson repairs

Customer:

What I'm asking is, Should the transmission need this type of repair at this stage?

Roy :

it can fail at any time not a given mileage to fail , but it is not a common thing to fail at your mileage , I would have fluid checked first to see if you are low or have a leak first .

Customer:

Firestone said there was no leak. But before my cousin filled it up, there was hardly any fluid in there so it had to have gone somewhere.

Customer:

Can I keep driving the car without fixing the reverse thing until I have the funds?

Roy :

if fluid was low you have a leak somewhere I would get a second opinion

Roy :

you can drive it but inspect fluid level first

Customer:

OK. I'll go to Firestone again tomorrow. Can I talk to you again if necessatry?

Roy :

you can Accept and ask more questions, or relist and ask for me again , Thnak you ROY!