jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Experience:  15 years nissan,infiniti exp nissan and infiniti master tech,GTR certified ase master L1 certified

2002 Nissan Frontier: turn signals (in either direction), most

I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier. The turn signals have started to "go bad". When I activate the turn signals (in either direction), most of the times they flash once then stop. I have to turn them off and turn them on again. Other times they'll flash a couple times then stop. Sometimes they'll flash a number of times then just stop.

The flashers work fine with the hazard button.

My thought is maybe the turn signal relay or something related to the turn signal switch is going back. Just wanted to check to see if a Pro has run across this and can trouble shoot it more accurately then me just guessing.

jpaug01 :

Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX Justanswer!I have looked over the wiring diagram and talked to the other master tech in the shop and he has seen this problem before.It turned out to be the combination flasher unit,it is located behind the hazard switch area.I suggest replacing that unit and take it from there,Also if you have a trailer harness make sure it is not corroded with green corrossion as this can cause this symptom too.Ck the harness where it connects to the vehicle harness closely if equipped with trailer harness,Thanks and let me know what you find!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a look at the combination flasher unit. I do have a trailer harness so I'll take a look at that as well. i'll letcha know what I find.

jpaug01 :

Very good,Thank you!

jpaug01 :

Hi there!Just checking in to see if you had fixed your turn signal isssue?Thanks and let me know if I can be of any more help!

I disconnected the trailer harness from the vehicle wires and the problem still exists. I'm trying to locate the combination flasher unit. Is this different from the turn signal flasher relay? I found this thread which someone attached photos at the end showing the turn signal flasher relay ( I just wanted to make sure I'm looking at/replacing the correct thing.

jpaug01 :

It is the same unit,there are some different names that are used for the same part!

Great, good to know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I've replaced the tuner signal flasher relay and disconnected the trailer harness but the turn signals are still not working. Now I dont even get the intermitant flash that I used to. Any other ideas?

Sorry fort he trouble we are having getting your truck fixed,I will pull up the wiring diagram again and get back to you shortly,Thanks!

The first thing I would do is reinstall the trailer harness,it is possible the way it is wired we could have interrupted a ground causing further issues with the turn signal circuit.Then ck to see what works and what does not work as far as turn signals.Then go to the flasher unit and ck for battery power(12volts) with the key on at the White/Green wire.There should be 12 volts thre with key on engine off.This is the wire that energizes the flasher unit for turn signal operation!Do these cks first and let me know what happens!Thanks!