Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Nissan/Datsun D21 Hardbody Pickup: I have a 1992 Nissan truck

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Nissan truck with a 2.4lt. It idles fine but wont run hardly at all above 2500rpm. It acts like it is flooding out or misfiring. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

it seems to flood?

tims auto repair :

blow a little black smoke maybe?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

does it do it with the engine cold and hot?

Customer:

Yes.

tims auto repair :

the problem may be the ect....it may be bad,having the computer to give it way too much fuel

Customer:

I am not sure what the ect is

tims auto repair :

engine coolant tempeture sensor ...for the computer

tims auto repair :

i will give you a picture

tims auto repair :

1992 Nissan-Datsun Truck D21 Hardbody 4WD L4-2389cc 2.4L SOHC MFI (KA24E)
Coolant Temperature Sensor/Switch (For Computer) Locations, Components

21_93truckcec-057.png
Full Size Image

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Location

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
Located in the coolant passage at the front of the intake manifold.

Customer:

thanks I will try that

tims auto repair :

these can make the engine flood like crazy sometimes

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

thanks for using justanswer

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put in a new ect and this did not fix the problem. It idles fine but runs like crap if you step on the throttle. if you ease on the throttle it will rev to about 2500rpm then crap out. if you mash on the throttle it will totaly crap out but never die.

ok

this is a different discribtion..

lets check the fuel pressure here...the fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump may be weak..

check the fuel pressure,,it must not have less than,,33psi at all times

Fuel Pressure Specifications, Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature: Fuel System Pressure Specifications
FUEL PRESSURE
At idle ................................. 33 psi (226 kPa, 2.3 kg/cm2) [1]
At idle ................................. 43 psi (294 kPa, 3.0 kg/cm2) [2]

[1] With vacuum hose connected to fuel pressure regulator.
[2] With vacuum hose disconnected to fuel pressure regulator.

Fuel Pressure Testing and Inspection, Component Tests and General Diagnostics: Fuel Pressure Test
1. Turn the key on and listen for fuel pump noise for 5 seconds.
a. If sound is heard, proceed to step 2.
b. If sound is not heard, perform fuel pump test. If fuel pump is O.K., proceed to Computers and Control system and check the fuel pump control circuit.

graphic

2. Remove the fuel pump fuse from the fuse box (located under the L.H. side of the dash).
3. Start the engine and run until the engine stops.
4. Turn the key off and reinstall the fuse.
Fuel pressure is now released.
5. Disconnect the fuel inlet hose at the throttle chamber.
6. Install a high-pressure fuel gauge (0 to 60 psi) between the hose and throttle chamber with a "T"-fitting.
7. Start the engine and check for leakage at the fittings.
8. Allow the engine to idle and observe the gauge reading.
a. If fuel pressure is 33.3 psi (226 kPa, 2.30 kg/cm2), fuel pressure is O.K.. END TEST.
b. If fuel pressure is below 33.3 psi (226 kPa, 2.30 kg/cm2), proceed to step 9.
c. If fuel pressure is above 33.3 psi (226 kPa, 2.30 kg/cm2), proceed to step 15.
9. Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose and check for vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator hose.
a. If vacuum does exist, proceed to step 10.
b. If vacuum does not exist, inspect the throttle chamber for restriction and clean and replace as needed.
10. Observe the gauge readings.
a. If fuel pressure does not raise to 43 psi (294 kPa, 2.94 kg/cm2) after removing vacuum hose, replace the fuel pressure regulator and re-test.
b. If the fuel pressure does raise, inspect the fuel filter for restriction, if O.K. proceed to 11.
11. Remove the fuel cap and retest.
a. If O.K., replace the fuel cap and re-test.
b. If no change occurs, proceed to step 12.
12. Remove the fuel pump and inspect the pick-up screen for restriction.
a. If O.K. proceed to step 13.
b. If not O.K., clean the screen and re-test.
13. Inspect the fuel delivery lines for restrictions (kinks, bends or collapsed hoses).
a. If O.K. proceed to step 14.
b. If not O.K., repair or replace as needed and re-test.
14. Replace the fuel pump and re-test.
15. Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose and check for vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator hose.
a. If vacuum does exist, proceed to step 16.
16. Observe gauge readings.
a. If fuel pressure does not raise after removing vacuum hose, replace the fuel pressure regulator and re-test.
b. If the fuel pressure does raise, proceed to step 17.
17. Inspect the fuel return lines for restrictions (kinks, bends or collapsed hoses).
a. If O.K. proceed to step 18.
18. Replace the fuel pump and re-test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the fuel pressure and everything checks out fine.
This did not fix anything

i know you say you have tested the tps,,,but,,,from the way you explain the promblem,,,it sounds as if the tps is bad

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did test it but I will try to pick one up tomorrow to verify.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed the tps and it did not make any differrence.

ok

i will opt out,,,maybe one of the other guys has an idea of what is going on here,,,someone will be right with you

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Tim, it sounds like you have a restricted cat converter in the exhaust, you can verify this by removing the o2 sensor, and seeing if it rund better, this will set the check engine light, but it will also verify if the exhaust is plugged,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a new cat converter put in. That was the first thing I did. It did not help
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Are there any codes stored in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is a code for air flow meter. I replaced it with a new one and no change.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
HI there!
Can you tell me the specific code you are getting please?
Also, where is the part you replace located? I just want to be sure we are talking about the same part here is all.
Let me know.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
code #12 is what is stored in computer and the MAF sensor is what I replaced. I wonder if an o2 sensor could cause this?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the maf sounds like the problem with the way it is running. It will cause the fuel to shut off at about 2500-2700 rpms, but will also cause the rich mixture when it's reading wrong.
The key here is that it will rarely set a code. Since you have a code, it indicates an issue with the wiring to it.If you have a volt meter we can at least check it for power and ground, might have to ohm the signal wire as well.
Might be a little tricky because the wiring diagrams aren't the best on the older models, but I think that is the next step. I would not put a O2 sensor in it unless we can prove this is all good.
Let me know what you would like to do next.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did test the wires to the MAF. I have got a good ground and positive. I did check with an ohm meter and it tested fine.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
So you are saying you ohmed the signal wire from the maf to the ecm and there is no problem with it?
You also need to disconnect the battery for an hour to reset the fuel trims when you replace the maf. If you don't then the truck will run on the memorized fuel trims.
let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I did check the ohm and no problem. Today I disconnected the battery and reset codes. Then ran the truck for approx. 20 minutes. The computer has no codes just 55. The truck still runs the same.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Still sounds like a possible maf issue, however, when you checked the timing, does it walk at all? Like read 15 BTDC, then float after that, especially when you increase the rpms?
Do you have a scan tool you are using to get the codes or just flashing the check engine light?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have a scan tool just the flash code. I will have to check the timing again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me know on there.
There really isn't any way to test the maf sensor. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks around it. I did have one customer that had a small o ring or seal that was allowing a vacuum leak so it is possible.
You can ohm the maf, but I believe if the heater wire was burnt, it would throw the code quickly.
Ohm it where the white wire and the black wire are on the connector pins, just to be sure it is good. Don't have pin numbers for you on the older wiring diagrams.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After all that the timing chain had jumped a tooth. Runs perfect now. Thanks for all the help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Well, glad you got that figured! Sure sounded like the maf sensor was bad! or a possible distributor issue. Guess in a way it was.
I guess we would have gotten there.