Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair

2011 Nissan Altima: it brand new..Service Engine Soon light came on

I have a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. I leased it brand new in June, 2011. I noticed a couple of days ago that the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Does this mean I have to take it back to the dealer? Is there anything I can do myself to fix it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you today.

The service engine soon light comes on when the PCM (computer) sees a system fault and when this happens the PCM will set and store a fault code. Because the car is less than a year old you will need to return to your dealer to have the needed repair done as it will be covered under warranty and should cost you nothing for the repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it okay to put off bringing it in for 2 more weeks if it came on this past Sunday? That would mean it would be on for about 3 weeks, one of which I won't be doing any driving because I'll be away.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Yes your safe to drive it as long as its not flashing. The computer has back up strategie and you usually wont notice any difference in the way it runs. Just get it check when you can.