Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2006 Nissan Maxima has high idle, what do i check?

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
Hi there!
IS the check engine light on? How many rpms is the idle at?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The check lite is not on.the RPM's go up and down from 1500 to 2800
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and see if it will idle normally.
This will turn the check engine light on so don't be alarmed. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is that located where the throttle body is?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
No, that is over where the air cleaner box is.
In the duct work to the throttle body, but actually bolted to the air cleaner box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
looks like some one has put like a high performance one ,i disconnected it but it acts the same.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, next we have to check for a vacuum leak. Plug it back in and spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold with the engine running and see if the idle smooths out.
Let me know.,
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok,i'v sprayed carb cleaner and it still the same did'nt change
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, lets try a relearn on the electronic throttle.
You have to do steps 1 and 2 on a cold engine, then drive it and warm it up to do the remaining steps.
Make sure you time it with a watch of clock with a second hand.
Let me know.

Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".

a. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.

b. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.

c. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.

d. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.

e. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.

2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .

b. Turn ignition switch 'ON'.

Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' and wait at least 10 seconds.

5. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.

6. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

7. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.

8. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.

9. Start engine and let it idle.

10. Wait 20 seconds.

11. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i'v tried that relearn procedure and still acts the same now it has code PO507
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it will get the 507 because the idle is high. This is normal. The car searching for idle is not normal of course.
Searching for idle is normally a vacuum issue. Since there doesn't appear to be any vacuum leaks, the next step is checking the fuel pressure. But also should check for one of the converters being plugged. This is probably going to be needing scan tool to check the parameters of the O2 sensors and see if one is running out of range.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when hooking up the scan tool what are the indicating numbers to look for that indicate out of range.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Like to have you look at the maf sensor first on the scan tool.
Here is a chart to compare to.
graphic
Also look at the fuel trim percentage and let me know what it is.
Long term and short term
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Mas A/F SE-B1 is 12.55 -38.20 ) ( Mass air flow 7.4-10.4 gs
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I suspect the maf sensor is no good. It is not showing much on the 2500 side for the mass air flow. Are you able to race the engine above 3k rpms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the engine rev's up over 3K rpm's
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, were you able to get the long and short term fuel trims?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on the scanner i have there's no reading for fuel trims there's air fuel ratio SenHtr 1and Air fuel ratio SenHtr2 ?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
That isn't it.
Ok, since you are able to rev the engine past 3k I really don't think there is an issue with the maf sensor.
Usually a searching engine is an intake air leak. Since there doesn't seem to be an intake air leak, I would have to say check fuel pressure next.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just learned that the plenum was taken off to replace the spark plugs
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Then it should be a simple relearn or a possible intake leak.
Maybe a vacuum line plugged in wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i'v tried replacing the plenum gasket's checking all the vaccum hoses making sure they are in the right place,what's next? ( RPM's still go up and down.)
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I can only think to check the fuel pressure. It should be 51 psi. See if it is fluctuating between 51 and lower.
Also, possibly one of the converters is plugged up. Remove the up stream O2 sensors and see if the idle smooths out.
This is a real brain burner for sure!
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it sure is a brain burner,i'll check the up stream O2 sensor and i'll let you you know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the up sream 02 sensor where is it located back of engine or front?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
There is one in the front and one in the back. These are right at the beginning of the converters or in the exhaust manifold.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how accurate to the second is the idle relearn procedure if missed by a second will it not relearn?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
You have to be right on. The computer starts counting and that is it. Off a second will affect it.
You might want to have the dealer try to do the idle relearn with the scan tool at this point.
Mike V., Nissan Technician