Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

2006 Nissan maxima: 5 speed automatic transmission..dipstick

Customer Question

2006 Nissan maxima 5 speed automatic transmission down shifts hard
I made a mistake about the Fluid its matic K , it says it on the dipstick
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

dsmtuner1 : Hi there and thanks for using just answer.
dsmtuner1 : Do the shifts seem worse as the transmission warms up?
Customer :

yes it does.

dsmtuner1 :

Ok, thats what I was figuring you were going to say. I see this problem pretty frequently in the maxima 3.5l with auto 5sp transmission. The problem lies in the valve body itself. When the transmission heats up the solenoids in the valve body stick which causes the delay. It's an actual issue in the valve body's themselves straight from the factory and most of the time these issues start to arise around 65k-100k miles.

dsmtuner1 :

There is currently no recall for this issue either, but nissan will recommend you replace the transmission and mounts.

dsmtuner1 :

The alternative choice is to find a reputable shop to rebuild the valve body itself, I certainly would not recommend buying a new nissan valve body for this to avoid the situation your in. A reputable shop can install a transgo kit, with original valve body gasket, fluid, and labor will run you about $500-$600.

Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

Hope this helps you. Thanks, Jake.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you give a print out of the valve body? and can you give me a Company that will sell the valve body rebuild kit? or do you know where I can purchased a Transmission Manual?
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

When you say print out of the valve body are you wanting a diagram from the service manual?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I would like a diagram if I can not purchase a Transmission Manuel
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

I will get some information today. thanks

Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

The complete manual is a rather large file so I am not going to post it here. I did find you access to a manual though so you don't have to purchase one from your dealer.

If you plan on rebuilding the valve body yourself, i would certainly advise against it. A reputable transmission shop would be recommended for that, it is no picnic.

You could buy an OEM control valve assembly for about $875 on, but thats still more expensive then having it rebuilt. You could actually install the whole assembly yourself though without rebuilding your current one. Then have the current one rebuilt for a back-up if you keep it stored properly.

Here is a place for you to view the manual (320 pages). Keep in mind you have the RE5F22A transmission.