Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2002 Nissan Sentra: Dip stick fell down into tube

I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra 1.8L. Dip stick fell down into tube. Have tried everything to get out through the top. Now I'm trying to remove the tube and have followed the instructions on the free how to on the website, but there is no retainer bolt or screw, so I'm not sure how its secure. Need help getting the tube out, so I can retrieve the dip stick
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

I use to have fun with these.

Jay :

If you can get compressed air available to you, this is how you get them out

Jay :

Pinch off the PCV hose, then remove the line off the valve cover to the air duct, and apply compressed air, and it shoots right out!

Jay :

Other wise, you would need to remove the lower engine oil pan to get it out.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

What about removing the tube?

Jay :

That tube is pressed into the block, it doesn't come out easy at all with out damaging it

Jay :

When I tell you by taking a blow gun with shop air, it takes like 2 mins to pop it out.

Customer:

I mean. I've tried everything to get it out the top. I don't think the compressed air will work. I've already removed the shroud to get to the tube. So, you don't think its worth a shot at removing the tube.

Jay :

I loved seeing them shoot out cause your loading the crank case with the air, and since your pinching off the PCV hose, the tube is the airs only release, so it shoots the dipstick out

Jay :

I have used compress air on these things more than I can remember

Jay :

Takes 2 mins to blow them out of the dipstick tube

Customer:

I mean, I've tried to JB weld a long insert into and on top of broke handle and it only comes to within an inch from the top, so I don't think a little compressed air will work this time

Jay :

That won't work cause the top of the dipstick below the handle where it breaks there is a o-ring

Jay :

Trust me when I say, I have used a blow gun and compress air a ton of times to get these dipsticks out

Customer:

If you think I shouldn't pursue the tube removal, how hard is it to remove the oil pan to get to the dip stick

Jay :

You don't want to have a shop take a blow gun to blow it out?

Jay :

The oil pan is a pain to get off, clean and re-install. It takes about 2 mins or less with air to pop it out

Customer:

I guess I'll try that, but I have my doubts.

Jay :

I have been with Nissan for 20 years.. I can even think of a number of how many I have done with air. It has to be over 50, maybe even 100

Jay :

The only time they are hard to come out is if they are tampered with and the o-ring is gone

Jay :

and it's just the stick with no plastic on the end. If you still have the plastic on the end with the o-ring, compressed air will pop it right out.

Customer:

The o ring was still attached to the base of the handle when it broke

Jay :

So the o-ring is not in the tube.

Jay :

The top of the dipstick does it have any plastic on it?

Customer:

No, its still on the base of the handle that broke

Jay :

So there is still plastic on the dipstick?

Customer:

yes it does. Thats why I tried JB weld to attach it and it did pull up to within an inch two times

Jay :

Blow it with air. It should still pop right out. Just may need to hold the air to it, to get it to pop up.

Customer:

Who do you recommend to do that

Jay :

If you have the PVC hose pinched all the compressed air is going to want to up up that tube which will pop the dipstick out.

Jay :

Do the compressed air it should pop out

Jay :

It may not shoot out like I enjoy, but it will pop out

Customer:

ok

Customer:

So if that doesn't work, what next

Jay :

Then you will need to drop the pan

Jay :

You'll mess up the dipstick tube if you try to remove it.

Jay :

Trust me, when this first started happening, we all tried ways to get that stick out

Jay :

The air works 90% of the time!

Customer:

So, whats involved removing the pan

Jay :

We all use to line up and see how far it would shoot out

Jay :

I don't think you will need to remove the pan.

Jay :

Tell you what. Give the compress air a honest try, if that doesn't work then come back and I will tell you how to remove the pan

Customer:

So where do you insert the compressed air and how much pressure to you recommend

Jay :

You don't even have to click the ACCEPT button till you try the compressed air. That is how much I believe the compressed air will work

Jay :

Pinch off the PCV line, and that hose off the valve cover you place the blow gun and use the full shop air and gun it. It blows it right out

Customer:

I going to give it a try and will let you know.

Jay :

You go tit

Jay :

you got it

Jay :

oops

Jay :

hehe

Customer:

Ok, tried the compressed air numerous times. Most of the pressure is bypassing the top of the dip stick. The top is not seating good enough to work. Had my compressor at 120psi and sealed off the pcv. Oh, I can see how it would generally work, had all the pressure shooting out the top of the dip tube, but stick not coming out this way. I want to know my next option, which is removing the oil pan, I presume. Is this complicated for a home mechanic or should I take it somewhere. Since you've been a Nissan Mechanic, wanted to know if I took it to Mcdavid Nissan 5 minutes from me and told them to do that , could they get to the dip stick that way and what do you think will charge me. thanks

Jay :

Darn, it normally works to get the dipstick out.

Jay :

Yea, removing the pan is kind of involves and requires cleaning surfaced and so on.

Jay :

As far as cost, normally this is done for around 1 hour labor to drop the pan and get the dipstick out.

Jay :

Plus your going to might as well do a oil change since all the oil has to be dumpeed

Jay :

I am ticked that didn't work. That almost always works.

Jay :

In any case, that is your next option on what will need to be done. Unless the dealer has another trick to get it out and can charge you less to pop it out. That is another thing you may just want to mention to them.

Jay :

Customer:

Ok, I'm going to the car wash to wash the underside then take it to my Nissan shop with your advise

Customer:

By, the way, I could see how your compressed air trick would usually work, but the top of my stick head is not seating well enough and most of the pressure was just shooting around it.

Jay :

Yeah, if that top part is broken sometimes it will still allow it to come up so you can grab it, but when the top of the stick still has the plastic lip, it shots out like a bottle rocket. That was the fun part..hehe

Jay :

Feel free to return and let me know how you make out. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Sorry, in my case the pressure method didn't work. I didn't think it would, but it was worth a shot. Next, I decided before going to Nissan, cause I know they would be extremely high on labor charges, I dropped by my local mechanics shop and he slipped a tight bolt into the tube that he could get a good bite with vise grips and with some wiggling and hard tugging he managed to get the pressed in tube out without damage and the dip stick along with it. After out, it was still quite difficult to actually get the dip stick out, but finally did and then re-inserted the tube and tap back in place. Just got a new dip stick, and that frustrating ordeal was finally over. Actually, a replacement tube was only $30. and the dip stick $14. I think that was a better consideration than removing the pan.

Jay :

Glad it worked out for you

Jay :

I never priced out the tube, but that is good to know.

Jay :

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Anyway, you gave some good advise and ideas and was well worth the $18. Thanks

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

If your satisfied with my help don't forget to press the ACCEPT button. That is how I get credit for my work.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer