snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

2009 Nissan Murano: liftgate..I can manually overide..screwdriver

I have a 2009 Nissan Murano, the liftgate does not open. It's electric and none of the buttons work. I can manually overide by sending my 8 year old into the back with a screwdriver! I checked the fuses and this is not the problem. Any idea's?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  snapontech replied 2 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Customer:

I think it is a relay switch but I'm not sure

snapontech :

Hello

snapontech :

So you replaced the vehicle battery or the one in the key fob

Customer:

The vehicle battery

Customer:

everything else on the key fob works

snapontech :

I see ok this would have me to believe there is a problem with the lift-gate actuator

Customer:

how do I fix that?

snapontech :

I am trying to get some images

Customer:

ok

snapontech :

Does it unlock the backdoor when commanded

Customer:

The backdoor of the cabin? yes, all other doors work.

snapontech :

THe liftgate

snapontech :

If you try it inside this is overriding the command and the automatic still works

snapontech :

correct

Customer:

no, niether the key fob, button on the liftgate, or the button in the car by the stearing wheel unlocks the liftgate, the only way to open it is the manual switch inside the door of the liftgate

snapontech :

The motor could be the problem than, lets try resetting it to see if it starts working again

snapontech :

Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes both of the cables and before reconnecting them briefly touch them together

snapontech :

Than reconnect

snapontech :

This resets the system

Customer:

ok, i will try that

snapontech :

Let me know I will be here

Customer:

it now unlock, so i can get into it, but it does not automatically raise or close. But i am happy just to get into the back

snapontech :

Yeah this is odd can be the motor itself

snapontech :

This goes through a few items what needs to be done is pulled down and tested if its getting the power and ground signals when you try than the motor is the problem

Customer:

The motor of the liftgate?

snapontech :

Yes

Customer:

How much does that cost to replace?

snapontech :

863 bucks new from the dealer

snapontech :

If you get a used good one from a salvage yard or www.car-parts.com normally about 200

Customer:

ok, at least i can get into the back. I can save up for a replacement. Are they difficult to replace?

snapontech :

Its pretty decent sized job

snapontech :

But its a few hours of labor

snapontech :

Now its not for sure here

snapontech :

can easily be a problem with a bad connecton

snapontech :

thats why you have to check the powers and grounds before you will know

Customer:

How do I check the connections?

snapontech :

You have to gain access to the connector at the motor

snapontech :

The shop can actually check the signals from the scan tool but they will also have to pull this in order to verify the signal is getting to the connector

Customer:

so, it maybe just a bad connection or at worst the motor needs to be replaced?

snapontech :

Yes

Customer:

ok, thank you

snapontech :

No problem, If this was helpful please take a moment to kindly press the green ACCEPT button, Thanks in advance, Danny

snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.