Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

2003 nissan maxima: brake warning light came on

2003 nissan maxima suddenly stopped while driving brake warning light came on
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

please explain....did the engine just die?

tims auto repair :

has it done this before?

tims auto repair :

does the engine light stay on when the engine is running?

Customer:

yes the engine died while I was driving in traffic, I put it in neutral and it started and I continued onto my destination. The red brake light came on also service engine soon. The engine died one other time about a month ago and it needed a new battery. I also had a TCS light and a slip light come on and go off a couple of weeks ago.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does any of the lights stay on now,,after you restarted it?

Customer:

the engine light went out after I restarted the engine

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does it only seem to do this when the engine is hot?

Customer:

yes, I should also tell you that the service engine soon light has been coming on since I purchased my car a few years ago, and then goes out after a couple of weeks.I have had no problems with this car until now. It has 145000 KM on the engine if that helps

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

the first thing you need to do here is to scan the computer for trouble codes

tims auto repair :

these codes may give a clue to the problem

tims auto repair :

if you dont have a scanner..auto zone and most parts stores will scan it and give you the codes for free

tims auto repair :

without the codes....i could give you a thought here

Customer:

Do you think this is a serious problem?

tims auto repair :

not really

tims auto repair :

i think you may have a crank sensor going bad

tims auto repair :

this will cost around $70+/- at your local parts store

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

thats funny you say that because I was researching that very problem the first time my car stopped

tims auto repair :

i see

tims auto repair :

but..you do need to scan the computer,,,,sense the engine light has come on,there will be codes stored

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.