brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2001 nissan maxima: I found a bad ignition coil..spark plug..smoothed

I have a 2001 nissan maxima 3.5 . engine was missing very bad when it was brought to me. I found a bad ignition coil , replaced the coil and spark plug, the idle smoothed out. But when i accellerate the engine startes to raise then looses power. There is no check engine light on and no codes stored in the computer. Could this be a plug convertor or low fuel pressure.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. If just raising the idle caused the vacuum to go away then you most likely have an exhaust problem. Try disconnecting the exhaust in front of the converter and see if the performance comes back. If it runs better with it disconnected then the converter needs replaced