Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan/Datsun Pathfinder 4x4: Having a hard time removing Harmonic

Customer Question

Having a hard time removing Harmonic Balancer from 1995 Nissan Pathfinder. Trying to change waterpump. Lower timing cover is held on by harmonic balancer. Using bolted puller with 4 bolts and breaker bar with 3' pipe and 4 days worth spraying spraying penetrating fluid.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

These older balancers can be a bit of a pain

Jay :

There are two threaded holes in the balancer. I normally tap them to clean them so I can use the M6x1 bolts to thread in them and use the puller

Jay :

See image as a example

Full Size Image

Jay :

The bolts need to thread in pretty good to grab. You can't use a couple threads. It will pull right out

JACUSTOMER-qh2ck8ma- :

There are 5 holes in the balancer. Does not have the hollow slots. Photo must be of a newer balancer after 95?

Jay :

That is really not a picture of the balancer on your truck.

Jay :

That is just to give you the basic idea

Jay :

It's a example picture

JACUSTOMER-qh2ck8ma- :

Thanks,

JACUSTOMER-qh2ck8ma- :

I'm way beyond what the puller is. As the balancer is siezed on the crank, you do not know of a 2 piece replacement lower timing cover is available? or if I can use the 5 threaded holes in the balancer to jack against the timing pulley without damaging it?