Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2009 Nissan Altima wont start

2009 Nissan Altima won't start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
What happens when you try to start the car?
Does the engine crank and not start? Or no cranking at all?
Let me know!
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
push button start will go to "ACC" and "On" - doesn't seem to be cranking. Brake pedal is difficult to push down. It did this a few days a go too and after about a dozen times of trying it started. Now won't start at all. All lights and radio, windows etc will come on and work fine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, can you check and see if the brake lights are coming on when you step on the brake pedal and let me know please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No brake lights
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it sounds like the brake light switch has failed. The car won't start because it doesn't know you have your foot on the brake pedal.
First we will check to make sure it isn't a fuse problem. If the fuse is good, you will have to replace the brake light switch.
Here is the location of the fuse to check.
Check fuse #7 in the fuse box inside the car. Here is a diagram of the fuse box as yours aren't numbered.
Let me know.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse appears to be fine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you are going to need to change the brake light switch. This may be covered under warranty if you have less then 36,000 miles on the car.
Let me know if you need instruction to try and do this yourself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like instruction to try and do this myself - thank you.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
OK, the brake light switch is located on the brake pedal bracket up under the dash.
Once you locate it, you should be able to unplug it and then turn it about 1/4 turn and pull it out of the bracket.
There are 2 switches, one is for the cruise control.
Here is a diagram so you get the right one.
graphic
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.