Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2005 Altima: blower would not turn off and blew on high all the time.

I have a 2005 Altima. The blower would not turn off and blew on high all the time. Did this for about a month. Then one day it stopped blowing. Now it doesn't work at all. Any ideas on what it could be and how much it will be to fix?
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there
Is is auto or manual climate control? Do you set it to a certain temp or just turn it to heat or cold?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, there is an auto climate control. I never used it though. Don't know if that matters. I usually set the temp between the lowest setting and 75.

Also, I forgot to mention that it will only blow hot air when the rpm is up while driving. When idle it blows cold air.
Ok, so it does blow air then?
I am not sure, the original question is the blower stopped working, is this correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I confused you. The issue with the blowing hot air came up last winter before the blower quit working a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if the two are related.
Ok, I am back on track.
The blower issue is usually caused by a faulty fan control amp. This is the part that makes the blower work automatically. changes the speeds and so forth.
This would roughly be a $200 repair parts and labor.
It is located under the dash next to the blower motor.
The only blowing hot when driving is a different issue and not a factor in this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I just have a few other questions regarding this. Is this something that can easily be fixed by someone who is mechanically inclined? Does the dash have to come out to replace the amp or can it be reached from underneath? Is this amp made as an after-market part and if so do you recommend using it?
OK, I believe it is a dealer only part.
It is located behind the glove box. So the whole dash doesn't have to come out.
It is only held in with a couple screws and is easy to change.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it very much!
Do you have any idea what the problem could be with the heater issue blowing only hot air when driving and blowing cold on idle? I do recognize there is a selection to add a tip on here! Smile
The problem is there is air in the cooling system. This leaves an air pocket in the heater core. When you are driving the hot antifreeze is forced past the air pocket so it will produce heat.
The issue is where did the air come from. Honestly, most of the time is is a problem with the head gasket. Normally it will start out small, then as time goes on, you will notice a slight misfire when you start it after sitting all night. Eventually you will get a check engine light with a misfire code.
This is because the coolant can't burn. Then it will push the coolant out of the cylinder and the car will run fine.
This is the typical pattern with the altimas.
Very common issue. For now, the air can be bled out and it will be a good car for a little while. Heat up like it should.
Eventually, the head gasket will have to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Awesome, carguy1! Thank you very much!!!
You are very welcome! Wish I had better news about the heat, but I have seen it a whole lot!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm just glad to know what it is! I hope you have a great day!
You have a great day as well!
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a 2005 Altima and need to replace the fan control amp. Does anyone know the part number for the fan control amp or could you please find out what it is so I know I'm getting the correct part? Thank you.
HERE is a link to the part online with the part #
much less then I thought it would be!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much!
You're welcome! :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I'm a squeaky wheel!
In order to get to the fan control amp do I have to take out the glove compartment and the cover underneath to get to it? I really can't afford to take this to have fixed and want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Here are some instructions for the glove box. you may have to remove the panel below it as well.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Awesome! Thank you!!
you're welcome, sorry for the delay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't mind waiting! Thank you for all your help today and have a good evening.
You have a great night as well.
Thanks