Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2006 nissan altima: The shift interlock solenoid..shifter..assembly

I have a 2006 nissan altima with a 2.5 engine. The shift interlock solenoid is not actuating thus not releasing the lock in the shifter assembly. I removed the shifter assy. and checked for power going to the solenoid. It has power on both wires which i not know if it should. As farr as voltage amount i did have a volt/ohm meter to see how much voltage was going through. It might not be suffiecient. The reason i say this is becuase i removed the solenoid by it self and when i supply 12 volts direct it does actuate. I know there is a shift lock control module located in the dash by the steering wheel. This is where the solenoid gets its power from. Since this is a computer of some sort, could it be possible that this could be faulty and not send suffiecient power to the solenoid. and if so how do i test it and what are the specs for the inputs and outputs going to the solenoid. Now it could be fuses, but i do not know which fuses are for the shift lock. The schematics say there re 3, but where. Please help me diagnose this so i do not buy expensive unnecessary parts. Thanks rex
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
First off, do the brake lights work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
OK, you are going to need to take the cover off the shifter and check the following wire for power.
Check the white wire on the solenoid for power.
Then, you should see power on the red/white wire until you press the brake.It should then go to ground. Test this and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did test the solenoid red white wire and it does have power. As for the other wire it also has power. Note: The 2 wires on the solenoid always have power with a test light whether i step on the brake or not I did not have a volt meter to see how much volts were actually reaching the solenoid to unlock the shifter.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
OK, that is fine, what that is telling me is that the module is not grounding the red/white wire. So, the next thing to check is that the brake light switch is sending power to the module. To do this, you have to crawl under the dash,locate the switch on the pedal bracket, step on the brake pedal and look for power on the red wire with the green stripe. If you get power, then the module needs to be replaced. If not, then the switch is the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are 2 brake switches located at the brak pedal. I Tested both of them in the with the brake pedal not applied and they both have power on one wire only. I am assuming that is the power supply. Then when i press on the brake power goes to the other wire on each switch. This tells me the switches are good and working.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they are working, the car needs the shift lock control module to resolve the problem. It isn't grounding the solenoid wire so the solenoid won't activate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last question. I know the shift lock solenoid is located in the dash some where by the steering wheel. Can you tell me exactly where it is located and which dash panels i need to remove to gain access to it. Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
HERE is a diagram of it's location. This is part B on the diagram.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.