Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Nissan/Datsun Frontier SE How do I change the heater core

How do I change the heater core on my nissan 2000' frontier. 4 cyl.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

you will need to remove the dashboard and drop the steering colunm to replace the heater core,,this is a pretty big job

this may help you

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

2000 Nissan-Datsun Truck Frontier XE 2WD L4-2.4L (KA24DE)
Heater Core Service and Repair, Procedures
56_ns01front_sm4ha-085.pngHeater Core

REMOVAL
1. Drain cooling system.
2. Disconnect the two heater hoses from the engine compartment side.
3. Remove the cooling unit.
4. Remove the steering member assembly.
5. Remove the heater unit.
6. Remove the heater core.

INSTALLATION
Installation is the reverse order of removal. Inspect system for coolant leaks. Refer to "Changing Engine Coolant".
Housing Assembly HVAC Service and Repair, Procedures: Cooling Unit, Service and Repair

68_ns02xterr_esm_ha-085a.pngCooling Unit

69_ns02xterr_esm_ha-085b.png

REMOVAL
1. Discharge the A/C system. ".
2. Disconnect the two evaporator core refrigerant lines from the engine compartment side.
Cap the refrigerant lines to prevent moisture from entering the system.

3. Remove the glove box and mating trim.

4. Disconnect the thermal amp. connector.
5. Remove the cooling unit.
6. Separate the cooling unit case, and remove the evaporator.

INSTALLATION
Installation is the reverse order of removal.

Dashboard / Instrument Panel Service and Repair, Procedures
77_ns00fr33l_sm4bt-021.pngPart 1 Of 2

78_ns00fr33l_sm4bt-022.pngPart 2 Of 2

79_ns00fr33l_sm4bt-023.pngComponent Location

80_ns00fr33l_sm4bt-024.pngComponent Views

CAUTION:
- Disconnect both terminals from battery in advance.
- Disconnect air bag module connectors in advance.
- Be careful not to scratch finishers and other parts.
- Never tamper with or force air bag lid open, as this may adversely affect air bag performance

Recharge the A/C system.
Inspect system for refrigerant leaks. Refer to "Checking Refrigerant Leaks".

Housing Assembly HVAC Diagrams, Exploded Views
67_ns02xterr_esm_ha-084.png Heater Unit

68_ns02xterr_esm_ha-085a.png Cooling Unit

2001-02 Frontier And Xterra

1. Disconnect both the negative (1st) and positive (2nd) battery cables.
  2. Remove the steering wheel by performing the following procedure:
    1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

CAUTION Wait 3 minutes after disconnecting the battery cables and turning the ignition switch to the OFF position before servicing the air bag system.
  1. Remove the lower lid and disconnect the driver-s air bag module connector.
  2. Remove both side lids.
  3. Using the Tamper Resistant Torx® Wrench size T50, remove the special bolts from both sides of the steering wheel and discard them.
  4. Remove the SRS module from the steering wheel.

CAUTION Always store the SRS module face up.
  1. Position the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position.
  2. Disconnect the horn connector and remove the steering wheel nut.
  3. Using a steering wheel puller, press the steering wheel from the steering column.

1. Remove the passenger-s side air bag by disconnecting or removing the following items:

1. Open the glove box door.
  2. Working inside the glove box, open the lower instrument panel lid.
  3. Remove the passenger-s air bag module connector clip from the lid.
  4. Disconnect the passenger-s SRS module connector.
  5. Remove the glove box and the lower passenger-s side instrument panel.
  6. Using the Tamper Resistant Torx® Wrench size T50, remove the SRS module-to-instrument panel special bolts and discard them.
  7. Remove the 4 SRS module-to-instrument panel mounting nuts.
  8. Release the SRS module-to-instrument panel clips and remove the SRS module.

1. Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.
  2. Working inside the engine compartment, disconnect the 2 heater hoses from the heater core.
  3. Discharge and recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.
  4. Disconnect both refrigerant lines from the evaporator core. Plug the lines to prevent moisture from entering the system.
  5. Remove the glove box and the mating trim.
  6. Disconnect the thermal amp connector.
  7. Remove the air conditioning housing assembly from the vehicle.
  8. Remove the instrument panel assembly by performing the following procedure:
    1. Remove the 4 steering column cover screws; then, separate and remove the steering column covers.
    2. Remove the 2 driver-s side lower instrument panel screws and the lower instrument panel.
    3. Remove the 4 cluster cover screws and the cluster cover.
    4. Remove the 6 combination meter screws; then, disconnect the combination meter electrical connector and remove the meter.
    5. Remove the 2 glove box screws and the glove box.
    6. Remove the 2 instrument stay cover screws; then, disconnect the electrical harness connectors and remove the stay cover.
    7. Remove the 2 cluster lid -C- screws; then, disconnect the electrical harness connectors and remove the cluster lid -C-.
    8. Remove the 4 audio and deck pocket screws; then, disconnect the electrical harness connectors and remove the audio and deck pocket.
    9. Disconnect the ASCD main switch connector.
    10. Remove the 2 meter cover screws; then, disconnect the electrical harness connectors and remove the meter cover.
    11. Remove the 4 air conditioning-heater control screws; then, disconnect the control cables and remove the air conditioning-heater control.
    12. Remove the front pillar garnish.
    13. Remove the 3 instrument panel assembly nuts and 2 bolts; then, remove the instrument panel.
  9. Remove the heater housing assembly.
  10. Remove the heater core from the heater housing assembly.
  11. FIG : Exploded view of the steering wheel and SRS module and related components-2001-02 Frontier

image

12. FIG : View of the passenger-s side SRS module and related components-2001-02 Frontier

image

13. FIG : Exploded view of the instrument panel and related components-2001-02 Frontier

image

14. FIG : Exploded view of the heater housing, air conditioning housing and related components-2001-02 Frontier

image

15. FIG : View of the heater core and heater housing-2001-02 Frontier

image

16. To install:

1. Install the heater core to the heater housing assembly.
    2. Install the heater housing assembly.
    3. Install the instrument panel assembly by performing the following procedure:
      1. Install the instrument panel and the 3 instrument panel assembly nuts and 2 bolts.
      2. Install the front pillar garnish.
      3. Install the air conditioning-heater control, connect the control cables and install the 4 air conditioning/heater control screws.
      4. Install the meter cover, connect the electrical harness connectors and install the 2 meter cover screws.
      5. Connect the ASCD main switch connector.
      6. Install the audio and deck pocket, connect the electrical harness connectors and install the 4 audio and deck pocket screws.
      7. Install the cluster lid -C-, connect the electrical harness connectors and install the 2 cluster lid -C- screws.
      8. Install the stay cover, connect the electrical harness connectors and the 2 instrument stay cover screws.
      9. Install the glove box and the 2 glove box screws.
      10. Install the meter, connect the combination meter electrical connector and install the 6 combination meter screws.
      11. Install the cluster cover and the 4 cluster cover screws.
      12. Install the lower instrument panel and the 2 driver-s side lower instrument panel screws.
      13. Install the steering column covers and the 4 steering column cover screws.
    4. Install the air conditioning housing assembly to the vehicle.
    5. Connect the thermal amp connector.
    6. Install the glove box and the mating trim.
    7. Connect both refrigerant lines to the evaporator core.
    8. Inside the engine compartment, connect the heater hoses to the heater core.
    9. Refill the cooling system.
    10. Install the passenger-s side air bag by performing the following procedure:
      1. Install the SRS module and secure the SRS module-to-instrument panel clips.
      2. Install the 4 SRS module-to-instrument panel mounting nuts.
      3. Using the Tamper Resistant Torx® Wrench size T50, install the new special SRS module-to-instrument panel bolts.
      4. Install the lower passenger-s side instrument panel and the glove box.
      5. Connect the passenger-s SRS module connector.
      6. Install the passenger-s air bag module connector clip to the lid.
      7. Inside the glove box, close the lower instrument panel lid.
      8. Close the glove box door.
    11. Install the steering wheel by performing the following procedure:
      1. Align the spiral cable pin guide and install the steering wheel by pulling the spiral cable connectors through it.
      2. Connect the horn connector and connect the spiral cable by aligning the pawls in the steering wheel.
      3. Install the steering wheel nut and torque it to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm).
      4. Install the SRS module to the steering wheel.
      5. Using the Tamper Resistant Torx® Wrench size T50, install the new special bolts to both sides of the steering wheel.
      6. Install the lower lid and disconnect the driver-s air bag module connector.
      7. Install both side lids.
      8. Rotate the steering wheel fully right and left to make sure that the spiral cable is set in the neutral position.
    12. Connect both the positive (1st) and negative (2nd) battery cables.
    13. Evacuate and charge the air conditioning system refrigerant.
    14. Run the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.