Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

How do I replace serpentine belts 1996 sentra 1.6 engine

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

If you have loosenes the adjustment bolt, and the lock nut.....then it should move.....you can give it a few taps (using the back of a hammer).......

Billy :

And here are the details:

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

JACUSTOMER-w4i0fwqq- :

As I already stated I have followed the diagram but the belt does not loosen. Are you saying that I should hit the adjustment bolt with a hammer?

JACUSTOMER-w4i0fwqq- :

Thank you for your answer. I have tried to push against the adjusting bolt with a long handled screwdriver but it didn't move. I can see the slot the adjust bolt should move in. The power steering pump should or shouldn't move?

Billy :

it should move.......

Billy :

And you are advised to hit (with the BACK of a hammer).......just a few hits to loosen it......

Billy :

As it appears to be seized in your case.....

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

JACUSTOMER-w4i0fwqq- :

What exactly am I supposed to hit with the hammer? I have hit the adjusting bolt no change. I have hit the holder of the locking locking bolt no change.

JACUSTOMER-w4i0fwqq- :

Is there a bolt I am missing on the Power steering pump? I have loosened the lowest bolt that looks like the pivoting bolt. The pump looks like it is attached to the firewall and cannot move.

JACUSTOMER-w4i0fwqq- :

THere are two bolts at the bottom of the pump that atttach the pump to the engine block do those need to be removed?

JACUSTOMER-w4i0fwqq- :

It is not attached to the fire wall, I was trying to remember where they were attached instead of looking directly at the pump.

Billy :

The pivoting bolt you mentioned needs loosening, and then you get to the adjusting and locking bolt.

Billy :

However, i will opt out, re list the question, so other experts take a look......Good luck!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
If you have loosened the pivot bolts at the bottom of the pump it should now move for you.
If it still won't move, what I do is cut the old belt off, then I walk the new belt up and around the pump pulley. I do this by rotating the engine by hand using a ratchet and socket on the crank pulley. This is normally faster and easier then trying to get the p/s pump to move far enough to put the belt on. Try this and let me know.
Thanks