Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

I have a nissan sentra 1.8 2004. just cleaned the throttle body.

Customer Question

I have a nissan sentra 1.8 2004. just cleaned the throttle body. the idle is too high and surges. think it was the residue i cleaned out of the throttle body. how do I readjust the idle downward?
Steve
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Roy :

HI!

Roy :

did you move the throttle plate ?

Customer:

no, but there was a build up of what appeared to be carbon on the butterfly, which is why I cleaned it.

Roy :

ok if you move flap it can damage the throttle body , you can try to cycle key on for 5 sec. then off for 5 sec. do this 5 or 6 times. just turn key on and off and this should reset base setting if not it might be damaged .

Customer:

by flap do you mean the butterfly?

Roy :

you should also hear the throttle body make a clicking noise . the butterfly yes!

Customer:

This clicking noise does this occur when the throttle is closed?

Roy :

no after cycling key on and off will make a noise when resetting

Roy :

this has a base setting from factory and should not be touched or it can get damaged

Customer:

Will try that. Just cycling the key from off to on without starting the motor?

Roy :

do not start engine turn on for 5 seconds then off for 5 seconds , do this 5 or 6 times to reset throttle butterfly in bore of throttle body

Customer:

ok sounds clear enough thnks

Customer:

Steve

Roy :

your welcome and good luck , ROY!

Roy :

Hi Steve, you can click Accept unless you have more questions , Thanks again ROY!

Customer:

tried it twice , can hear the throttle body butterfly clicking, but still to high idle and surges

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

Let me know if you have any more questions , Thank you ROY!

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

If you still get a surge and high idle you could have damaged the throttle body settings I have had to replace the throttle body from moving and cleaning the carbon out of butterfly it can damage base settings

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just cleaning with toothbrush and varsol can damage the throttle body?
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

it is very sensitive to movement if you move the flap butterfly it can damage unit I see this a lot on the throttle bodies .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Roy,
tried all you suggested, including replacing throttle body with brand new unit. still idles at 1550 rpm when warm and idle surges when cold till warmed up then settles down to 1550 rpm. Where should I go from here?
Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My email address [email protected] Thats [email protected], this web site thinks this is a duplicate don't know how this could be. please get back to me.

Steve
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

Steve ,I was out of town for late response . if you replaced the throttle body the idle volume learn will need to be reset , here are the steps to reset settings do all the steps after you warm up engine and all accessories off and doors shut . Thanks and good luck, ROY!graphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is PNP switch?

Steve
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

That is the park switch when shifter is in park or neutral

let me know if you need any more help Thanks ROY!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Roy,
Reinstalled the old throttle body and did the idle air retrainnig proceedure has worked very well since. It appears that spending the $250.00 for the new throttle body was not required. I now have a new/used throttle body, what am I to do with it? if I sell it I am likley to loose at least $100.00 on the transaction. It would have , in retrospect, been a good idea to try they idle air retrainnig proceedure before recommending that I replace the throttle body, don't you think?

Steve
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

Thanks Steve you were very lucky the other throttle body was not damaged this is very uncommon by cycling key will normally reset base setting this did not work when you tried it. this is why I said the throttle body must be damaged , I am glad you have your car fixed and let me know if I can help you any more Thanks again , ROY!