Doctor D
Doctor D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 20 Years Experience
5480360

1995 Nissan Altima: distributor,wires,cap..rotor..misfire..fuel filter

Customer Question

I am working on a 1995 Nissan Altima, I recently replaced the distributor,wires,cap,rotor and coil. It will run fine for a few miles and then begins to act like a misfire and at an idle if I put my foot into it ? it will bog like there is no fuel or spark, I might add to that I replace the fuel filter and I check the fuel tank for debris tank is clean. Now if I am gentle with the throttle it will rev ok once or twice and then acts stupid again.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

Based on the symptoms it sounds as if you may have a plugged exhaust. Sometimes the catalytic converter can get plugged up and cause exactly what you describe.

Try removing the oxygen sensor (between the engine and the converter) and if it seems to run normally with this remove due to a large hole being open in the exhaust then it is plugged up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried removing the O2Sensor and it still does what it was doing, and I can feather the throttle and it will rev fine its when I quickly mash it to the floor is when it does it, its like you shut the key off

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Doctor D replied 3 years ago.
check the air intake snorkel. the rubber snorkel from the throttle body to the air filter box. look for breaks and / or cracks in the snorkel which will allow unmetered air into the engine. As you throttle the engine it pulls on that air snorkel and opens the cracks thus bogging down, light throttle will not move the snorkel as much thus not causing a problem. don't tape or repair the snorkel, replace it. they are not super expensive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked the snorkle and its all good no cracks, the engine runs fine until it gets hot and then it acts like its got a misfire, stumbles under load, at idle it will sometimes act like its going to die, this car has been troublesome from the start, BTW I have to advance the timing to the limit which seems weird to me because I checked the timing marks and they line up perfectly.
Expert:  Doctor D replied 3 years ago.

hi,

yeah you have something going on there. Your situation due to the fact so much has been done already would be better suited to a live hands-on technician. You will need to find one with talent and not just a parts changer, which many are.

Good luck and any advice or help i can provide, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was wondering if the knock sensor would cause the vehicle to act like it has a misfire? and would it cause stalling? and also would the mass air flow cause the same problems?

Expert:  Doctor D replied 3 years ago.
Knock sensor no, it does not have to power to create those symptoms. The mass air flow has extreme influence and can create misfires and stalling, however i'm worried about your mechanical timing being so far off. even with a bad knock the ECU will just ignore it and run on a default timing program. Most MAF sensors will not be fixed with a simple "clean". they need to be replaced. So yes like the other Expert said, your whole situation could still be just a bad MAF.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok just so you won't worry lol! the reason the timing is maxed is because that is where it runs best and ofcourse it would because it is advanced, like I said the timing marks line up perfectly and the car will start and run at setting the distributor in the correct possition but when reved it falls on its face. Long story short makes sense that if in fact that the flow meter is bad that would explain why it runs worse at correct timing. I appreciate your time and thank you and I hope that I did not sound to much like a rambling idiot.
Expert:  Doctor D replied 3 years ago.

lol, your good. good luck with the car :)

Doctor D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master, 20 Years Experience