Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

Nissan Titan: the manual transmission mode when I..push..shift down

My Nissan Titan will not go into the manual transmission mode when I push the button. Sometimes, it will say 4 but not allow me to shift down. Yesterday, I had difficulties with it coming out of 4 low. The transmission ran a little hot pulling my camper up the mountain (we have done this same trip several times over the last 3 years without these issues). When I would try to move it out of neutral, the transmission would grind. We turned it off in Neutral, waited a few, turned it back on and was able to shift gears and get out of 4 low- but still no manual. I need to know what is going on.

Roy :

HI!

Roy :

What happens is the wires break at pivot of base of shifter, if you remove column covers you will see broken wires at base where shifter manual wires flex when shifting lever, you can try and repair wires or replace the shift arm to fix this problem. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

HI!

let me know if you need any more help ,Thank you ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What are column covers, and what about the transmission getting hot, grinding noises, and not getting out of 4 low? With winter coming, I can't have this happen to me on ice and snow packed roads.

HI!

Your covers are the plastic covers that go around behind the steering wheel to get to the shifter lever . if transmission is getting hot and grinding I would start with a transmission service and also make sure your fan motor is working at front of truck when hot . if binding in 4WD you will need to get the actuator inspected on side of transfer case for problems sticking in gear , these can also fail This could still be covered under your Nissan warranty . Thank you ROY!