Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2006 Nissan Quest: Passenger power window stopped functioning a couple

2006 Nissan Quest. Passenger power window stopped functioning a couple of weeks ago. A couple of days ago, driver window stopped functioning, as well. In looking for a fuse to check I can find no fuse in either fuse panel for windows. Also, noticed sunroof sliding switch does not function although the rocker type switch will operate the sunroof. I'm doubting that both window motors would fail so close to the same time, especially considering the passenger would be getting much less use over time. Any suggestions I can do myself?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Your problem is most likely not a fuse.

Jay :

How handy are you and do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

I am reasonably handy and could obtain a voltmeter

Jay :

The reason I am asking about a volt meter and how handy, cause what I would like you to do is remove the door panels, and check power going to the window motors. Start with the drivers side since that side stopped working last. Do you need a image on how the door panel is secured so you can remove it to do this check?

Customer:

An image would help. I did find a bit of info from an individual who explained online how to remove that panel, but he wasn't an actual tech.

Jay :

ok, let me give you the diagram on how the door panel is secured.

Jay :

Then what you want to do is unplug the window motor and probe the wires with the volt meter, and see if you are getting 12 volts to the motor.

Jay :

Click HERE to download the PDF on how the door panel is secured so you can remove it.

Customer:

Okay, I understand. Will I be able to get back to you if I wait until daylight tomorrow to do this check?

Jay :

Tomorrow I am helping my son go to collage. I will be online tomorrow evenings around 7 pm EST till 10 or 11 pm tomorrow

Customer:

I will get back to you then, if that is alright. Assuming there is no power to the motor, what would you suspect is the problem?

Jay :

Window switch..

Jay :

Main window switch

Jay :

If it was a fuse, then both windows would stop working at the same time.

Jay :

Also, does the rear vent windows still work?

Jay :

If the rear vent windows work, then it's definitely not a fuse.

Customer:

Rear windows still work.

Customer:

Do I need to press the window switch while checking for voltage at the motor?

Jay :

Yeah, your most likely looking at a main window switch.

Jay :

yes

Customer:

Okay. By main switch, I assume you talking about the switch in the driver door.

Jay :

So once you have the door panel removed, and you have the volt meter probed to the unplugged window motor, turn the key on, and plug the main switch in and use the window switch to check voltage to the window motor.

Customer:

Okay. Sounds like something I can handle. I will report back to you tomorrow evening sometime around 8pm Eastern

Customer:

I assume I can hit save at the bottom of this page and return later to this same conversation. Is that correct?

Jay :

yes

Jay :

or you can just log back into just answer and come back to this question.

Customer:

Okay. I will be back

Jay :

you got it

Customer:

Okay. I have 12 volts in both the up and down positions, respectively. Does that mean I need a new motor, at least on the driver side? Is there anything else to check before replacing the motor? Is there a reset switch on the motor itself? If I need a new motor, is there a sheet available to tell me how to remove and replace? I have located a re-manufactured motor by Cardone for a price of $!53, including core deposit. Is that the best option considering price? Is there a better place to buy one?

Customer:

I kind of assuming that the passenger side is also not a switch, in that it doesn't work with either switch--driver door or passenger door. Does that make sense to you?

Jay :

If you have 12 volts in both directions at the window motor, yes you need a window motor. There is a program button to set it, but that won't help it to get it to work.

Jay :

I would suggest you also check the passenger window to determine if you need two motors, or 1 motor and 1 switch,

Jay :

After you replace the window motor, here is the steps to program it.

Full Size Image

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Do you have diagram or instructions for how to remove the window motor? Do you see lots of failures of these window motors. Are the reman motors I'm looking at a good replacement motor?

Jay :

I don't know about a reman motor

Jay :

But I can only give you what the manual show me.

Jay :

Hold on, let me get it for you.

Jay :

Click HERE to download the instructions.

Customer:

This document says from door glass and regulator removal. The window is up. I assume I don't need to remove the glass. Can you suggest a place to order a new motor online at a good price? Do I need to remove the rail holding the motor to get the motor out?

Jay :

If the window is all the way up, you still need to remove the two 10 mm bolts that secures the regulator to the glass

Customer:

Is the regulator thing that the motor is attached to?

Jay :

yeas

Jay :

yes

Jay :

so is the window

Customer:

Okay. I think I can do it. It is really hard to see in there. Hopefully, I can see a lot more after removing the speaker.

Customer:

I will go ahead and hit the "accept" button here to send payment. I assume I can follow up with more questions if I need to over the next couple days after I get the motor here.

Jay :

yes, you can always follow up if you need to

Customer:

Will I still be able to get back to this after hitting accept?

Jay :

Yes