Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Nissan/Datsun altima 2.5 2002 nissan altima 2.5 . NO Start.

2002 nissan altima 2.5 . NO Start.
I have 4 codes I prefer a tech familiar with Modis scanner so we can be exactly on same page.
codes are as follows:
PO 300 random misfire
PO420 Low bank 1
PO217 engine overheating code
PO420 Low bank 1

Would like to know when you have multiple codes which one do you take on first? Also, why is there 2 codes the same (PO420).
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

How many miles on the car? also let me know if your a shop.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

132k , not really a shop more like a DIY with a garage.

Customer:

used vehicle so I don't know maintenace history.

Jay :

Well, I may have some bad news.

Jay :

First thing I think of when I see a P0300 and a P0420 together, is engine!

Jay :

The Catt Converters are a issue with these engines.

Jay :

Because they break apart up top and the debris of the catt gets sucked into the engine.

Jay :

When this happens the debris mixes with the oil and becomes like a lapping compound.

Jay :

Which now circulates through the engine. First thing it takes out, is the oil rings. So you have a oil consumption issue.

Jay :

Second, is the head gasket

Jay :

So then you start to over heat and get cylinder misfire codes.

Customer:

would that give you a no start too?

Jay :

So for your situation, I would check into a possible head gasket issue, and remove the upper 02 sensor and check to see if the catt is broken up.

Jay :

No compression could

Jay :

Did you do a compression check?

Customer:

no not yet, what compression should be in each cylinder?

Customer:

I did check the oil and it isn't milky yet

Jay :

181 psi

Jay :

is the high.

Jay :

Lowest compression is around 155

Jay :

Anything lower than 155, is no good

Customer:

hmmm ok... I had a cylinder bad before in a honda crv but it didn't crank up and run it was just rough.....

Customer:

sorry typo meant it did crank up and start

Customer:

right now I have a no start condition

Jay :

If you have low compression, it will just crank and not start

Jay :

These engines are also known for cam and crank sensors.

Jay :

but I would check compression

Customer:

would they throw a code for cam and crank sensors if bad?

Jay :

Normally they do. But you can unplug them and see if you find oil in the sensor. Some times oil seeps through them and can drown the connection which in some cases, won't throw the code yet

Customer:

if there is oil in the sensors is that a sign of something?

Customer:

can you tell me where cam and crank sensors are? diaghram?

Jay :

You should not have any oil in the connector part of the sensors.

Jay :

If you find oil in the sensor, you need to replace the sesnor

Customer:

ok thanks I will let you know how I make out tomorrow. If I unplug the crank sensor I can do a compression test that way, correct? but then again its not starting any way so I don't have to unplug the sensor, correct?

Jay :

No, you don't need to unplug the crank sensor to do a compression test.

Jay :

You should pull the fuel pump fuse in the IPDM which is over by the washer bottle fill spout. Then just pull coils and plugs and do your compression check that way

Jay :

I am normally online in the evenings, but I will be out tomorrow night. So if you have any more questions on this, I will have to catch up with you some time on Saturday.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Jay, I did a compression test and the numbers are below

Customer:

1- 140 2- 180 3- 155 4- 165 is this engine shot?

Jay :

Yes, i am afraid to say two of the cylinders have to low compression.

Customer:

is taking the engine out of this type of car hard? I know some vehicles are harder than others.

Jay :

Well, that all depends on your skill level. I have changed so many of these engines, that I think they are easy and can get it done in 6 hours. But someone who have never done it, may think other wise.

Jay :

I drop the whole thing out the bottom, but I have seen guys take it out the top. They just cut off the ear on the upper oil pan above the oil filter, and it comes out the top with the balancer off.

Customer:

is there any tsb's on catalytic converter failures leading to overheating and damage to engines?

Jay :

No, there is a Ecm reprogram bulletin, that is it

Customer:

Last 2 questions I hope.

Customer:

1. do you know a reputable place for getting a used engine. 2. when you drop the engine from below any tricks that a lot of people forget to do? thanks

Jay :

I am sorry, I don't know a place for a good used engine. I would not even go used. The cost of a reman is not that much more money than a used, and it has a 1 year or 12k mile warranty.

Jay :

As for tricks. If you get a reman, don't forget the pilot bearing. Other than that, it's a straight swap.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

when you say reman. are you referring to the dealership? thanks,

Jay :

Well you can get a Reman at the dealer. That would be the best place. But there are other companies now that reman this engine.

Jay :

I have seen them on Ebay. But I would call them before buying if you go that route.

Jay :

A long block is around 2100 bucks from the dealer. I see used engines for 1600 to 1800, so for the extra money you get a new engine vs, some thing that is used and something that may already has problems.

Jay :

Customer:

I am going to accept but I might have a few more questions later. thanks,

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer