Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2005 altima: cam sensor..stall..Replaced cam and crank sensor..nissan

2005 altima 2.5
Initially had a cam sensor code and car was useable for many months with the CEL on. One day car would periodically stall...have starting issues. Replaced cam and crank sensor with updated sensors from nissan. Car still has same problem..except it has progressively gotten worse to the point it will not start at all most of the time. No spark at the coils. If you remove the crank sensor and leave it hanging out of the block but plugged in the car will run...retarded with a CEL. Tried an ecm out of another known good car. Still no go
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay : Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com
Jay : How many miles do you have on the car? Also, when you removed the old sensors did you find oil in the connector, and were you a able to lock the connector fully at the crank sensor?
Customer: Car has 105,000
Customer: 105,000 miles. No oil in the connector. And yes was able to lock the connector. I have even taken a boroscope inside and looked at the ring that the crank sensor reads. Additionally I have confirmed the timing is correct
Jay :

Well I can tell you this, If you removed the Ecm and tried another one, you would need to have had the keys programmed to see if that other Ecm would work.

Jay :

Other wise, it would not start.

Jay :

So when you have the cranks sensor fully installed, where is will snap and seat in the block, the car does not start and you have a crank sensor code, correct.

Customer: Tried programming that ecm and wouldn't work for reasons you have stated. I do not have any CEL as long as e everything is plugged in...just no start. If I leave the crank sensor plugged into the harness but out of the block it will run...but it will be retarded and a CEL. I am pretty sure I can get the same symptom if I do the same thing with the cam sensor
Jay :

That does sound like something is off in the timing.

Jay :

The crank sensor removed from the block, the car shouldn't run.

Jay :

The cam sensor unplugged, I have see it run.

Jay :

So I am thinking you need to look more into your timing.

Jay :

Since the crank sensor is the primary signal

Jay :

and the cam is the secondary signal

Jay :

Both of them work together to determine engine position.

Customer: Turned motor by hand atleast 20 times til the original marks lined up. I will occasionally get intermittent spark when everything is plugged in and bolted up. Has everyone I know stumped..including techs at nissan. Don't know
Jay :

When ever I have seen these cars start with one removed, it's timing

Jay :

Put the engine on TDC and look at the front cam lobes closest to the timing chain

Jay :

They should be in this position

Full Size Image

Customer: I will triple check..but I am certain the timing is spot on
Jay :

If the cam lobes are not in this position, your timing is off.

Jay :

I don't go nuts with the marks. I make sure the marks are in the proper area, but then I pay attention to cam lobe position. That is how you really know.

Jay :

Let me know how you make out. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer