Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

2001 Nissan Pathfinder: ignition coils..they specific to each cylinder

Where are the ignition coils located in a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder? Are all six coils the very same, or are they specific to each cylinder?

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

Ignition coils are just above the spark plugs...

Billy :

On the valve covers (right side and left side)......there are six coils

Billy :

The coils are the same (can be swapped)

Customer:

Are each one the very same?

Billy :

yes

Customer:

Okay. Are all six easy to get to?

Billy :

not so, on your engine....i will provide a picture:

Customer:

What can you tell me about the error codes, P301 and P1320? I think the 301 code means cylinder 1, right? Where is cylinder !?

Customer:

Oky

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer:

Maybe better to buy them and let my local guy put them in?

Billy :

yes....well check which one is faulty....and confirm the fault...before buying all these....

Customer:

Is it really necessary to get an official Nissan part, rather than an OEM? Nissan Customer Service told me that if any of the replaced coils were not "truly" Nissan that is why they could fail...true or false?

Billy :

Well...OEM means original equipment manufacture....means Nissan in your case....

Billy :

It is better to get Nissan parts...as other parts are usually of lower quality....thus more likely to fail.

Customer:

Okay...but how to be sure I am replacing the right one? If the code is P301, doesn't that mean it is cylinder #1?

Billy :

exactly cylinder one.

Customer:

looking at the engine from the street, is it the one on the right or left?

Billy :

but before replacing.....i would swap the coil of cylinder one, with coil of cylinder two....and if the code gets p302....cylinder two...than the coil definitely needs replacing....(the coil that was placed in one and then in two)........and here are the cylinder locaTION NUMBERING:

Customer:

I understand...what is error code P1320?

Billy :

So standing in front of vehicle...the one nearest, on your left is the number one......

Customer:

I think Cylinder 1 is easy to get to...I believe I saw it last night...I will try that, swap 1 and 2. Does it have a torque for the bolt?

Billy :

just do not tighten it too much....one squeeze to it holds...that is it...and cylinder 1 is easiest to get to.....

Customer:

I thought it bolted into block? It is just an electrical connection?

Billy :

P1320: ignition coil and power transistor,....so the coil mainly.....

Customer:

Is P1320 error for just cylinder 1 or would it indicate a problem with any cylinder?

Billy :

some have one bolt...some none....you can see it straight away....you need to use a screwdriver, insert under coil and pry out gently...so you do not break the coil...this can be tricky....

Billy :

P1320 could be any cylinder....but since you have the 301 along with it...then the problem is mostly in number one

Customer:

Okay thanks...you have been very helpful..

Billy :

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

Thanks Billy, have a good day!