Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

nissan maxima the key is stuck in the igniton and i cannot

Customer Question

the key is stuck in the igniton and i cannot get it out and now i wont start
i hear a clicking in the fuse box wondering if it is the starter or the igniton switch
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

- is the shifter in P?

Billy :

- have you checked the battery? (as this may very well be a drained battery issue)?

Customer :

it is definately not hte battery. i can turn the key 2 or 3 times and then it will usually start. just wondering if it could be the igniton switch. i checked the shifter and it is in park. key just dont want to seem to come out

Billy :

It could be the ignition switch.......

Billy :

And it can be the shifter......as this will not allow the start, nor key removal if not in P.....so try putting the transmission in N......see if brake lights work when brake pedal is depressed....and get back to me with the year of this maxima (e.g. 2003)

Customer :

it is a 1998 maxima

Billy :

ok....try putting the shifter in N and then try to start or remove key.....

Billy :

If that does not work, try tapping on the starter using a piece of wood....and then try to start.....

Customer :

ok will let you know

Billy :

ok

Billy :

and it can also be the shift lock cable:

Customer :

thanks for your efforts but nothingis resolved as of yet

Customer :

key still stuck in the ignition

Billy :

Did you check the cable (lock cable)....scroll a bit up for picture....i sent this earlier/.//

Customer :

i did as i too apart the console

Billy :

If you have power (battery).....brake lights are working......and cable is working......that only leaves the ignition switch/barrel

Billy :

Get back to me if further info/details or diagrams are needed.

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy