Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2001 Nissan maxima wont start seems to be pushing fuel from pump

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Duane and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there!
Have you checked for spark?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It starts randomly - but not starting at this time whatvis the best wat to check spart
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the best way is to remove one of the coils on the front and set it next to a bolt on the engine. Then crank the engine and see if there is a spark jumping from the end.
You can also try to spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner into the throttle. If it tries to start and run then you know it has spark. It won't run long on this, but you will hear it fire.
Try it and let me know.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried starter fluid but no start will check for spark? what if their is no spark? Bad coil?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
No, if there is no spark, then it is a possible cam or crank sensor issue. If you had a bad coil, it would start,but misfire on the bad coil.
If no spark, it would probably be best to get a code reader and see if there are any codes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there an ohm reading that can be done on the sensors? What should they read
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Here is the readings for the crank sensor:
graphic
Here is the spec for both cam sensors.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Working on the spark issue
Believe coil on plug? Toward back of eng compartment any thick
On disconnecting this connector
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, these connectors are water tight. So, you will push the green section toward the connector and it will pop off.
The same for the cam and crank sensors.
You can't really get to the back 3 coils without removing the upper intake manifold.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the patience Sorry for all the questions Holding this connector near ground you would expect to see an arc? They seem relative low voltage?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
No, you don't hold the connector near the ground.
You take the coil off the spark plug and set the coil next to the ground. Then you should see spark jump from the end of the coil boot to the ground.
The connector is no more then 12 volts, all the power is created inside the coil. Don't hold the coil with your hand while cranking the engine!
You will get zapped. Just set it there and crank.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pullled plug tried to start - have sprark car started this time put back together started thee times???
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Is the check engine light on while it is running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Has been on for three years
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, it's time to get it checked. Most parts stores will check it for you at no charge. The computer is capable of storing more then one code and this may help point us in the right direction. I need the P codes in order to help you diagnose this or we are going to spend a lot of time and money on it for this intermittent issue.
It is possible the codes won't help, but we need to take this opportunity to get them if at all possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do thanks for the answers. This will take some time
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Post them when you can and I will get an email and see what I can do!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do -unfortunately back To not starting again
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, try this, hold the pedal to the floor and crank the engine see if it will start, it's possible it's a flooding issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did try that earlier but can try again - I am hearing some noise like a pumping in the air intake/ toard the firewall
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you were starting from scratch what would be your suggestion on what to do first?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
when it starts, does it run normally?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Perfectly
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, try unplugging the bank #1 cam sensor and see if the car will start.
Bank 1 is closest to the firewall. The cam sensor is sort of under the hose to the throttle body.
unplug it and see if the car will start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the cam shaft position send
Send
Sor mounted to the throttle bog
Dy or I
Under it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
It is not part of the throttle, it is under it and on the cylinder head.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe I foumd the problem - my son had two different keys and he was the one starting the car. When I tried I noticed the security light would stay on with one key and not the other - one of the keys is bad which explained why it worked sometimes - when he used he good key. No issues under the hood.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, you found the problem alright!
The immobilizer turns off the fuel injectors. This is why i had you do the starting fluid trick. Normally it will try to start with the starting fluid because you are bypassing the injectors.
It's why I didn't go after the security system. I felt we had no spark.