Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2005 Nissan Altima: theft and want to know what to look for to tell

is it possible to start a 2005 Nissan Altima without a key? i'm investigating a theft and want to know what to look for to tell if the car was hot wired or stolen with the owner's key.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

The Keys have a chip in them. There is no way to start the car with out them.

Jay :

If the car had a remote start in the car, then the remote start system has a box that has a spare key in it. So if the car was stolen, it's possible they got into the car. Killed the alarm. Then took the box out and opened it up and grabbed the key and started it.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

where would i look for that box?

Jay :

Normally it's install under the drivers side of the dash.

Jay :

There will be a after market alarm also installed if equip with remote start. A after market alarm is required for remote start to operate.

Customer:

Thanks Jay. just so i'm clear...there is no way to start this car without the correct key? the owner claims to have the only key to the car. i don't know if he had remote start but i will find out.

Jay :

There is no way I am aware of, other than the key. The keys are programmed to the BCM, and if a unregistered key is detected, the security system is then activated and the ignition goes into lock mode and kills injector pulse.

Jay :

But if the car has remote start, then there would be a key in the car at all times.

Customer:

thanks Jay. Great info.

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer