Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  20 years of automotive repair & modification, USA, Asian, Euro, old & new cars.
18975528

99 Nissan Maxima: ABS light..the OBD2 connector or the ecu..jumped

Have a 99 Nissan Maxima with an ABS light on. Looking for instructions on how to get the codes by jumping some pins on the OBD2 connector or the ecu or whatever needs jumped. Also a list of ABS codes with descriptions would be very helpful.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jan Andersson replied 3 years ago.

Reading the codes doesn't work that way anymore in an ODB2 car, it was a trick for some older ODB1 vehicles. ODB2 took over in 1996, and covers so many more codes than ODB1 that making a flash sequence ID for them all would not be feasible.

You can have the codes read at most auto parts stores or repair shops, most of them won't charge you anything to just read the code. Many cheaper handheld scanner tools will not read ABS codes, but some better ones do. They should be able to give you a description of the code too, and when you get the code, you can return here and we will be able to help you further troubleshoot it.

If you want to check some basic mechanical stuff first, trace the ABS wheel sensor wires and make sure they are ok. Also check the wheel bearings for play, by jacking one wheel in the air at a time and tugging and pulling on the wheel, to feel any play in the bearing. A very worn bearing can allow the ABS sensor and trigger wheel to actually come in contact with each other and break stuff.

I can't remember if your car has the toothed ABS trigger wheels or rings visible from the backside of the wheel hub, but if they are, look for cracked rings or dirt stuck in between the teeth. This all would be a massive waste of your time if you don't have the code, the code usually tells you WHICH wheel signal is missing or wrong, etc... in case it is a wheel sensor problem in the first place. (It could be something else).

The standard of error codes covers some ABS codes too, while any manufacturer may have their own additional codes. The standard codes are in the group called Chassis codes:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/obd-ii-c-chassis-codes.php

The ABS light being on also means that the ABS system has turned itself OFF as a safety measure, so you are now driving on regular brakes, which may lock the wheels when you hit the pedal hard enough. Drive safe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well I must tell you that you are incorrect. I know for a fact that there is a way to make the light flash out the ABS codes on a 99 Maxima. Of course you could also use a scanner to get the codes but the Maxima requires a special cable that does not use (or in addition to) the OBD2 port and most shops do not have it. I could take it to the dealer but that's gonna cost at least $80.

You are right, some manufacturers may have left some flash codes in their system. There is no standard, each have their own way of doing it.

I did not want to tell you to go ahead and short some pins somewhere, for the risk of burning something out, worst case costing you a new engine management computer.

So use this at your own risk, this is for Nissan vehicles:

ABS LIGHT RESET/DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

When a problem occurs in the ABS, the warning lamp on the instrument panel comes on. To start the selfdiagnostic
results mode, ground the self-diagnostic (check) terminal located on Data Link Connector. The
location of the malfunction is indicated by the warning lamp flashing.

SELF-DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE
1. Drive vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Ground terminal 9 of Data Link Connector with a suitable harness.
4. Turn ignition switch ON while grounding terminal 9.
Do not depress brake pedal.
5. After 3.0 seconds, the warning lamp starts flashing to indicate
the malfunction code No. (See NOTE.)
6. Verify the location of the malfunction with the malfunction code
chart. Then make the necessary repairs following the diagnostic procedures.
7. After the malfunctions are repaired, erase the malfunction codes
stored in the control unit. See Below
8. Rerun the self-diagnostic results mode to verify that the malfunction
codes have been erased.
9. Disconnect the check terminal from the ground. The self-diagnostic
results mode is now complete.
10. Check warning lamp for deactivation after driving vehicle over 30
km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
11. After making certain that warning lamp does not come on, test
the ABS in a safe area to verify that it functions properly.
NOTE:
The indication terminates after 5 minutes.
However, when the ignition switch is turned from OFF to ON, the
indication starts flashing again.

HOW TO READ SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)
1. Determine the code No. by counting the number of times the warning lamp flashes on and off.
2. When several malfunctions occur at one time, up to three code numbers can be stored; the latest malfunction
will be indicated first.
3. The indication begins with the start code 12. After that a maximum of three code numbers appear in the
order of the latest one first. The indication then returns to the start code 12 to repeat (the indication will
stay on for five minutes at most).

HOW TO ERASE SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)
1. Disconnect the check terminal from ground (ABS warning lamp
will stay lit).
2. Within 12.5 seconds, ground the check terminal three times.
Each terminal ground must last more than 1 second. The ABS
warning lamp goes out after the erase operation has been completed.
3. Perform self-diagnosis again. Only the start code should appear, no
malfunction codes.

ABS CODES

Code No. Malfunctioning Part Reference Page
12 Self-diagnosis could not detect any malfunctions.
45 Actuator front left outlet solenoid valve
46 Actuator front left inlet solenoid valve
41 Actuator front right outlet solenoid valve
42 Actuator front right inlet solenoid valve
51 Actuator rear right outlet solenoid valve
52 Actuator rear right inlet solenoid valve
55 Actuator rear left outlet solenoid valve
56 Actuator rear left inlet solenoid valve
25 *1 Front left sensor (open-circuit)
26 *1 Front left sensor (short-circuit)
21 *1 Front right sensor (open-circuit)
22 *1 Front right sensor (short-circuit)
31 *1 Rear right sensor (open-circuit)
32 *1 Rear right sensor (short-circuit)
35 *1 Rear left sensor (open-circuit)
36 *1 Rear left sensor (short-circuit)
18 *1 Sensor rotor
61 *3 Actuator motor or motor relay
63 Solenoid valve relay
57 *2 Power supply (Low voltage)
71 Control unit

Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech
Experience: 20 years of automotive repair & modification, USA, Asian, Euro, old & new cars.