jpaug01
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Experience:  15 years nissan,infiniti exp nissan and infiniti master tech,GTR certified ase master L1 certified

2002 nissan quest motor will turn over but will not start.

Customer Question

2002 nissan quest motor will turn over but will not start. I replaced the trans. with used one i never removed the flywheel this went well as for as i can tell never started motor yet,i also changed the main oil seal. I only took off the lower guard and the crank sprocket i never removed the timing belt from the upper gears or moved the crank when doing this the belt was off by 2 grooves on crank sprocket when replaced. Gas is getting to front of van. I also sprayed started fuel in breather while cranking. this did not seem to do anything. also removed spark plug it's firing at least that one is. the van was starting with no problem before i did this work. I'm sure i put all the wiring back right. dist. cap seems to be in good order. i just don't understand, the replacement of the trans. should not have any affect on starting should it. the engine was never started therefore the trans. was never put in gear. Also when jumped by another car the engine seems to be turning very fast. But i did not put the front back together as of now. I'm changing the CV axles but again would the motor have to be in gear to have any affect on power. also the starter is working properley the crank is turning. Hope i gave good info.i'm into home building not mechanics.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
If you are positive the timing belt is in time and the engine is cranking faster than normal,it may be that it is flooded.I recommend making sure the battery is good enough to stand up to some continued cranking,even if you have to jump with another car.Then hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank until it fires up,if it tries to fire but wont you can remove the fuel pump fuse and crank with your gas pedal to the floor again.This will clear the gas out of the cylinders and dry out the spark plugs!If it wont even cough while trying to start this way,you may have a timing belt that is off,then double ck your marks!Thanks,let me know what you find
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will try right now i'm at cent. time 5:25 tell you in a few mins.
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.

Ok im on eastern time

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will try right now i'm at cent. time 5:25 tell you in a few mins.O.K. I cranked for about 15 seconds then pushed peddle to floor After.a few seconds the engine coughed like gas was burning inside the motor but no fire or smoke seen after it seemed to have a small cough (pop) at every turn of the crank then a big one. Should i keep this up. I,ll try more while waiting for reply. also will take fuel pump fuse out
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
Yes try with the fuse out,if it does get started pul a spark plug and see if it is wet,if not go after the timing marks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I haven't gottenback with you in a few days, but I thought I had found decent help, but this is what is going on now: checked timing and the #1 piston matches the #1 wire/plug on te rotor. The van (2002 Nissan Quest) manages to starts(sputtering), the stops completely within a few seconds. I have been satisfied with thehelp I have been given from you, but I need more information. This is the only vehicle available to me and i need to get back to work. I have been gone for over a week now. Plus my wife has cancer and needs to get to her Dr.s appointments. Please I am desperate, please help. You may also call me toll free at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Thank you!

Bruce Blouin

Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
More important ly ck the cam timing,what may have happened is when you removed the belt off the ccrank pulley it probable jumped at the top on the cam sprokets,i will send a picture of the timing marks
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
Im sorry I can only make suggestions on my knowledge in this forum.Ypur phone number comes up as xxxxxxxxxx,it is against the rules to contact you in that way,but I will continue to help here as much as I can.I think your problem is with cam timing so let me know what you find
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O.K. Me again. I took off timeing covers( what a pain ) have a haynes manual And i put the marks per your an their (same) diag. to no luck. When i was looking at the motor the top sproket right sprong into place but not the left i had to center it between the two spots to get it to the marks. is this right? bottom i just rolled in place. anyway still just turning over on coughing. Allso i went to autozone got a Actron 2 codes read po340 and yesterday also today read po745 is this my problems. if so waht to do? PSS if i accept answer will you still help me with this problem?
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
I will continue to help until you are satisfied,i am going to look up those codes,i will be right back
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Experience: 15 years nissan,infiniti exp nissan and infiniti master tech,GTR certified ase master L1 certified
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
P0340 makes sense,it is the cam position sensor,it tells the ecm when to fire the spark plugs and injectors,P0745 is a line pressure solenoid in the trans,we will worry about that after the van is running you said the distributor was in time ,recheck it know that the belt is back on ,did your timing belt have marks on it to line up with marks on cam and crank gears?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no! timeing belt had no marks it was once changed ( i did mark front when taken off ) can and maybe i should get new. should i ? I think dist. is in time to late tonight to check. MY FATHER IS COMEING TOMORROW HE HIS MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE. #1 CYLINDER IS UP AND ROTOR IS POINTING AT #1PLUG WIRE AT LEAST IT WAS BEFORE I TOOK OFF COVFRS AND REDONE TIMEING. WILL GET NEW BELT TOMORROW. PSS DID NOT KNOW WE CAN LEAVE TIP THATS GOOD I MAY BE A PAIN LETS SEE HOW MUCH. ALSO WHAT TIME ARE YOU ONLINE TOMORROW
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
I will be on most of the day,i will be at work so i try to ck in every hour,make sure the new t-belt has the marks on it,they are fool proof.The nissan belt from your dealer has the marks and is not that much more expensive
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
anything else i should get while at napa. They should have the right belt. Hope we can get this car running today i need to get back to work it's my tool vehicle.
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
i CANT THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL THE BELT IS ON AND SEE WHERE IT GOES
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello: got engine running pretty good. Took for test run. Shift a little r ought, but was 2 qt. low. Anyway parked then went for another test. trans. slipped engine running at high R.P.M. but stil moveing. Put car in reverse and backed home. Hopefully the code po745 has something to do with the problem. While waiting for answer i wil reread coads. hope its nothing serious. please help!!!!
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
Im glad the engine is running good, now make sure the trans fluid is full and clear any codes that are in the system,I will ck back in about 20 minutes
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
If that code is still coming back ck you connection going into transmay not be on all the way and also ck for bent pins,I will ck in morning it is time for me to sign off for today,Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for help, drove car tonight, went pretty well. Lots of clanging and clatering I may have left a wrench in the timing belt houseing.after i recheck everything i will report back.i'm not very rich (of cource not Iwould have just junked it ) but i hope a 20 dollar tip is o.k. but please hang in with me. I don't think i told you my wife wreack this van 6 times. which by the way the air bag never went off. New Codes PO745--pending also PO745, PO340, PO325.
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
Your tip is very apprreciated,i will work with you until your car is good,Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do the codes po745-- pending, po745, po340, po325 have to be corrected? trans fluid a little high can i leave it in? also theres a line under starter coming from trans.with 190 degree metal tube on end i can't find where it goes do i have to hook it up? what is it for?
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
If the van is running ok i would not worry about codesGet back to work with the van and cross that bridge if it becomes an issue.Trans a liitle full wont hurt,sounds like what you are describing is the trans vent.There will be a tube on the trans where it hooks up,not real important
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey jp i have another problem. my valves started clattering and my oil light is on. i pulled off the valve cover it did not look like it was pumping oil. there was a lot of oil goop around the valves i scraped pleanty off. could some have fallen into the engine and cloged the pump. or a wire loose. is there something to put in engine to dissolve it? it is also idled high where is the idle screw?
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.
Try adding about half a quart of auto trans fluid in the oil it is oil but has a detergent in it as a cleaner,it may help after running for a while.For the idle warm up the engine,above the throttle drum where the accelerator and cruis control cable goes on you will see a screw,this is the aac valve,after van is warmed up,disconnect the aac valve connector and if idle is still high adjust with that screw.This procedure may cause a code so if it does erase it and you will be ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

J.P. hi' it's me still not driving my van. It appearers my oil pump is not working. I took off oil pan cleaned screen.Yes it was clogged. Could this have burnt the oil pump? i put the pan back on but the pump still seems not to be working. Can i remove the pump without taking the pan back off? are can their be another problem? have put about $1200 into this van 02 quest i don't want to quit now.Can the pump be REPAIRED without

taking it all the way out? could the bad pump have caused more damage? A new pump cost $200 plus.Please help i just went through with bankruptcy due to the hurrcaines here,i can not get finiceing for another vehicle at this time. There is also a heavy knock in the engine could this be due to lack of oil?