Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2010 maxima: keyless entry won;t work and the car wont start

I have a 2010 maxima and the keyless entry won;t work and the car won't start. I used the key to gain entry but the car seems to have shut everything down. What happended and what should I do?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! What is happening when you try to start the car? Any clicking or any type of sign such as a red key on the dash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
on the dash is the red key and it's blinking rapidly. the car does not make any sounds.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
OK, If you have a different key fob, try that in the dash, it is possible the key lost it's programming. Also,check to make sure the brake lights come on when you step on the brake pedal.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we do not have the second key fob with us and the brake lights do not work. The brake pedal seems to be completed depressed as well.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, since the brake lights aren't working, the car doesn't know you are stepping on the brakes. This is required for it to get signal to start. You can check the fuse box inside the car for the brake light fuse. I only have a number, it is #7 in the panel. I don't have a description of this fuse box, so look for one labeled brake.
If it is good, then the brake light switch itself is the likely culprit and will need to be replaced. Hopefully it will be the fuse and you will be able to get the car started.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fuse appeared to be fine and this did not solve the issue. We just jumped the battery and this allowed the car to start. It seems that the battery went dead and caused the security system to take over and disable everything until the battery was re-charged.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I am glad the jump start worked. I was going that direction, but the brake lights not working threw me off. Never the less, glad to hear she is up and running!
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.