Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

2006 Nissan Titan: The Service Engine Soon light is..im driving..SES

I have 2006 Nissan Titan. The Service Engine Soon light is on and off. Sometimes im driving my truck and SES is not appearing for a week or two. Then sometimes its on. Any idea what's wrong?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

Dozens of components, wirings, sensors, actuators, solenoids etc....would trigger this warning light......however,

Billy :

once the light is triggered, fault codes are stored, and these fault codes can and should be retrieved using a scan tool....the fault codes, would identify the faulty component(s) or system to be checked thoroughly.....

Billy :

If the fault is intermittent, it is because, if a full warm up cycle was performed without any problems, the engine management system would turn off the light....that is why you are having the on/off thing.....

Billy :

In either way, you need to hook a scan tool, retrieve the codes...and these would be the main element in tracing the problem....

Customer:

so this SES pop up are serious problem. can i just buy this scan tool

Billy :

you can get an OBDII tool or code reader....check on ebay.....i would advise that you drop by any service shop, and they should get you the fault codes sometimes for free....if not for a very low fee.....

Customer:

okay.

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.....get back to me if further info is needed.......

Customer:

another question. i just change my brake rotor 3 mos ago due to steering vibration when braking. now i change my tires to mud tires and im having the same issues again but base on my research it's the same symptoms. could it be the tire not properly balance or align

Billy :

it very well could be a tire....especially the rough mud tires....

Billy :

balancing would be the first thing to check

Customer:

Back to SES issue, i just change my whole transmission do you think this could be the cause. Because by not doing action

Billy :

could be caused by a loose connector, replacing transmission....yes....

Billy :

but, only fault codes would confirm.....

Customer:

now im worried this might give problem in my new transmission. What connector? So if can trace all this problem i will also find out that it might be the cause why my transmission was damage before.

Billy :

this most likely is not related to the transmission....and when i said connector....i meant that any loose connector would cause this.....the only way to find out, which component(s) or system to check, would be by retrieving the fault codes......any other way would require that you check all parts and connectors in vehicle.

Customer:

Last question. 2006 Nissan what are the problems i should be aware with this model.

Customer:

Titan

Billy :

the tire issue (already experienced)....need balancing

Billy :

- check for rust in storage bed

Billy :

- a/c refrigerant leak from service connectors

Billy :

- check nissan if your ECM needs a software update

Billy :

these would be the most prominent.....

Billy :

other thant that....just make sure you replace oils and filters at intervals........

Customer:

Thanks appreciate your time.

Billy :

Thank you again for trusting JA and myself......

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member