Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

My 2009 nissan maxima will not start with the keyless start fob

my 2009 nissan maxima will not start with the keyless start fob
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

What does the car do when you try to start it?

Customer:

the intelligent key warning light comes on along with the steering wheel alarm light. have checked both the steering column and have trid another intelligent key and nothing happens

Jay :

The dash will not come on?

Jay :

when you hit the start button?

Jay :

Meaning the Dash warning lights?

Customer:

it usually says to push brake and then push start button, but this does not come up

Jay :

Ahh

Jay :

ok

Jay :

Now tell me this, when your stepping on the brake pedal, are the brake lights coming on?

Customer:

after pushing the start button, these alarms come ondon't know. I'm at home now and the car is at a friends house

Customer:

don't know. I'm at home now and the car is at a friends house

Jay :

It's a good chance the brake switch is bad

Jay :

This is common on the push button start cars for some reason.

Customer:

it doesn't seam to detect the key fob?

Jay :

The Brake pedal has to be pressed so the car will start. If the switch for the brake lights is bad, the computer can't tell your stepping on the brakes to start the car.

Jay :

Also, I would check your battery also. Maybe put a jump to it and see if that will help show more signs of life.

Customer:

why doesn't it say to depress the brakes and push start button to begin with?

Jay :

That is the starting sequence when it detects the key.

Jay :

For the people who just can't remember how to start a push button start car.

Jay :

hehe

Customer:

yes, thats why I think it is not detecting the key, because it is not telling me to depress the brakes and push start

Jay :

Does the key lock and unlock the doors?

Jay :

remote wise I mean

Customer:

yes. with remote and with the key

Customer:

panic button works, tried that, tried leaving the key in the holder for 10-15 minutes before starting and no luck

Jay :

Then like I said, you need to check to see if the brake lights work when you step on the brake

Jay :

If they don't, then try to jump start the car and see if that bring it to life.

Jay :

If the remote works, the inside antenna will see the key. It's not the key that is the problem

Jay :

Never the key if the remote works

Customer:

guess thats what I'll have to try

Jay :

You can always go try and return to this question at your friends house on his computer if you need more assistance with this.

Jay :

But from what your describing, it's normally the battery, or the brake switch.

Customer:

his birthday party has been moved to another location.won't be able to check til tommorrow

Jay :

Ok

Jay :

Well I won't be online till tomorrow evening. So let me know how you make out.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

yup

Jay :

k

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer