Mike O.
Mike O., Master Technician
Experience:  18 years with Nissan/Infiniti dealerships
39767275

Too much air pressure in gas tank,air releases when cap is removed

too much air pressure in gas tank,air releases when cap is removed, prevents rapid filling of tank, replaced cap, did not help

Mike O. :

Hi my name's XXXXX XXXXX for the question!Some pressure when you release the fuel cap is normal. It's because of expanding and contracting fuel vapors caused by variations in outside temperatures. If it's hard to fill the tank though, there is a service bulletin for that symptom which involves replacing the fuel filler neck assembly with an updated one. The fuel vapor recovery lines on the fuel filler neck tend to get blocked and cause this problem. You can try to blow them clear with compressed air but usually the problem comes back again or the blockage won't come out so the whole fuel filler neck will have to be changed. Nissan came out with a new part just for this problem. Here's the part number in case you need it. 17221-0Z001 hope this helps.

Customer:

Mike, would this condition turn on check engine light ,i have not checked the code yet its wifes car , its on for a few weeks, how far down in inches would this blockage be.

Mike O. :

Actually, most of the time it will throw out a code and usually it's P1446 vent control valve code. As far as where the blockage is it's hard to tell because the lines are small and steel so you can't really tell where it is. It will get blocked in the small steel lines next to the big fuel filler tube. I've never been able to clear them myself since they're pretty long and curve a lot and since it's so small in diameter, there's not much you can use to stick in there and clean it out.

Customer:

ok, thanks mike