jpaug01
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Experience:  15 years nissan,infiniti exp nissan and infiniti master tech,GTR certified ase master L1 certified
6212151

1998 nissan frontier: timing chain..guides..jumps..it bend valves

Customer Question

if timing chain guides break and engine jumps timing does it bend valves on a 1998 nissan frontier 2.4 duel over head cam
Category: Nissan
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 3 years ago.

jpaug01 :

Hi,my name is John and I would like to help!Are you still online to chat?

Customer :

yes

jpaug01 :

Have your guides broken?

Customer :

yes guides broken

jpaug01 :

Yes if the timing jumps enough it can bend valves,does the engine still run?

Customer :

no bought it for good price wasnt running no compression took timing cover off guides broken and 1 on drivers sige going

jpaug01 :

If there is no compression chances are good there is a valve damge problem,can you turn the engine over by using a wrench on the crankshaft pulley or does it go so far and get very tight?

Customer :

depending on where the cam r i can turn crank

jpaug01 :

Are the chains still attached and do the marks line up on cam and crank?

Customer :

dude there no guides on 1 side chain real loose on crank if i turn cams the chain doesnt turn crank

Customer :

the piston on the tensioner for the lower chain is going also

jpaug01 :

ok i didnt fully understand that,it would appear that what you have described is the valves have hit and bent,good thing is I havent seen the pistons get damaged when this happens to this engine.It will take some work and a trip with the head to the machine shop,but if you got it for a good price you will be in luck,this kind of repair is probably around $1000

Customer :

so what your saying it bent valves when the timing jumped-- right

jpaug01 :

Yes

jpaug01 :

Is there anything else I can help with tonite?

jpaug01 :

If I have helped you today please click accept so I recieve credit for this chat,if there is more you would like to discuss please let me know!Thanks