Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Nissan/Datsun Altima My 2005 altima is shifting hard from

My 2005 altima is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd, I had it looked at from the local Nissan dealer and they said it may be the connection to the celanoid that they could soder from close to 400 dollars. They said that might not fix it and that they would have to replace the valve body which still might not fix the issue. What is going on with my car
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there!
There is a bulletin for this problem and that is what the dealer is working from. Basically one of the grounds inside the transmission does get re soldered. There is no way to determine if it needs soldering without removing the pan. If the solder joint is good, then we replace the solenoids, not the whole valve body. This is a common issue on the 05. There is also a dropping resistor which is there to lower the pump pressure on the 1-2 shift so you don't feel the shift shock.
All of these need to be looked at by the dealer to determine the actual cost.
If there is a code that will also help them get pointed in the right direction. I have seen the solder and changing the solenoid pack work to resolve this issue in the past.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was also told by one of the techs there that if they do have to go as far as the valve body being replaced that they have seen little to no help in the issue of hard shifting and end up having to replace the transmission as a whole. Is this true?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I have never had to replace the transmission to resolve the problem. Not to say it can't happen and if they actually got a code that might point them that way. If there was a code stored, is it possible for you to get it for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The code that was stored by the first tech that looked at it registered a cylanoid pressure valve fail. The code that registered was a P 0745, and that there was a "TSB" related to such a code. I just got off the phone with the dealership
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, it's the same one I am thinking of. All that I have done have resolved the problem. I even helped a customer perform this repair on his own car through here and it resolved the issue. I would plan on replacing the solenoid pack. This way when they check the ground wire, if there is no problem, you can have it all done at once. It will save you money if they have the parts right in stock. There is no way to know which it will take until the pan is off the transmission.
HERE is a copy of the bulletin if you are interested.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I hate to play he said, she said sir. When I brought up this issue with the tech at the dealership yesterday that insisted that because of the new solenoid pack and how quote "plastic acts inside with the fluid" that in all their cases it did not resolve the issue. Maybe I am dealing with a shady tech, which I hope is not the case, but I thought I would voice my concern. I really do appreciate your help sir. Also is somewhere in the range of 400 dollars a reasonable price for the maintenance of just soldering the terminal?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, the $400 is going to include the labor to remove the pan and all the fluid and plus the solder, any shop fees and like that.
I personally don't think the labor should be more then a couple of hours to do the job.
In fact, you may want to try a different dealership if you live in an area with more then one.
You are making me wonder if they are on the up and up. There isn't any plastic to react in the transmission. Plus, if there is, it is designed to handle the transmission fluid.
It may be possible they just want you to be well advised, I just haven't ever had a problem after performing the bulletin on the car.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well there is another nissan dealership down the road about 35 miles, and i may just have to call them and see what they say. I am in the military and leave for training in a week so I don't have a lot of time. I appreciate you sending me the tech manual, I use to work on helicopters and it makes sense to me with the manual in front of me. The dealership is Mitchell Nissan of Enterprise, Alabama. I don't know if they are on the up and up either since the first tech who looked at it gave me the impression this wasn't as serious as this tech is making it out to be. And my other Army friend had shotty work done on his Titan there too. The first tech is a trusted family friend with his own shop, so maybe I am getting screwed with by the dealership. I will talk to the techs today and let them know what I have been told. I thank you for all the help sir and appreciate you taking your time to help me with this issue.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
The first tech can do this repair for you with the parts from Nissan. Like I said, I helped a guy on here do it on his own car successfully. So, in my opinion, since I gave you the actual bulletin,there is no reason you can't have the family friend do the work if he is up to it. It is really not a major job and like I said, I have NEVER had to replace a transmission because of this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have been more help to me than anyone except my really good friends back in St. Louis who do foriegn auto repair sir and I really do mean it when I say thank you. It is unfortunate that some try to take advantage of soldiers because they see us as their income when we live in their home towns. Thats all I will say. I will try and go into another avenue of approach with someone else, or at least call them on their BS. I appreciate all your help sir, thank you very much.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You are more then welcome and thank you for your service!
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.