JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member
6149662

2007 nissan xterra: tire pressure..I troubleshoot and repair myself

I have a 2007 Nissan Exterra and my tire pressure icon appears on my display. How can I troubleshoot and repair myself? I appreciate any help you can provide.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 3 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Tire Pressure Monitor Reset Procedure
The TPMS will activate only when the vehicle is driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h). Also, this system may not detect a sudden drop in tire pressure (for example a flat tire while driving).

The low tire pressure warning light does not automatically turn off when the tire pressure is adjusted. After the tire is inflated to the recommended pressure, the vehicle must be driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h) for several minutes to activate the TPMS and turn off the low tire pressure warning light. Use a tire pressure gauge to check the tire pressure.

*Note:
TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels\ on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly.

CAUTION: Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors.
When a spare tire is mounted or a wheel is replaced, tire pressure will not be indicated, the TPMS will not function and the low tire pressure warning light will flash. Contact your NISSAN dealer as soon as possible for tire replacement and/or system resetting.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we have driven this vehicle over 16 mph and for more than one week and the icon still appears on the display board.
ok then likley a tpms sensor has failed...a scan tool will be needed to determine which one...The diagnostic code is the key
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We went to AutoZone for this scan and they informed us we need to go to the Nissan dealer to the scan and eventual repair if the sensor went out. I would sure like to repair myself if possible. Do you have any other ideas?

you would need a good scan tool that gets into the body control module....most shops are equipped...
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member