Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2005 Murano: REV..GAS PEDAL..DURING ACCELERATION THE ENGINE WOULD

2005 Murano problem DESCRIPTION
ROUGH IDLE AND STALL
NO ENGINE REV UP WHEN GAS PEDAL DEPRESSED.

HAS BEEN HESSITATING FOR ABOUT A MONTH.
WHILE IN GEAR AND DURING ACCELERATION THE ENGINE WOULD HESSITATE.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

I am sure this is on, but I have to ask. Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Customer:

NO ENGINE LITE ON

Jay :

No?

Customer:

NO

Jay :

Ok, I have a few tricks up my sleeve then to see if we can isolate this

Customer:

OH

Jay :

First off, when this happens does it seem to not want to rev over 2k rpms? or it doesn't rev period?

Customer:

WHEN STARTING THE ENGINE, IT STALLS AFTER 3 SECONDS AND YOU NEED TO START IT AGAIN. THEN YOU TRY TO KEEP IT RUNNING BY DEPRESSING THE GAS PEDAL, BUT IT DOES NOT REV UP. IT SEEMS LIKE THERE IS NO GAS GOING TO THE ENGINE. IT JUSTS LABORS AND STALLS.

Jay :

You can't even rev it?

Jay :

Does it bog?

Customer:

NO IT DOESN'T REV UP AND BOGS

Jay :

Ok

Jay :

Lets try this

Jay :

How handy are you?

Jay :

Oh how many miles on the car?

Customer:

SORT OF

Jay :

What I am going to ask you to do isn't to tough. It's actually fairly easy.

Customer:

OK

Jay :

Open the drivers door and when it's open, when you look towards the door hinges you will see 3 plastic caps on the body.

Jay :

Pop these caps off.

Jay :

Under these caps there are three 14 mm bolts. Get a ratchet and tighten up these 3 bolts. You will most likely find they are some what loose. Only make these bolts snug. Do not over tighten.

Customer:

OK WERE DOING SO AS WE SPEAK

Jay :

I can hang on while you do this,

Jay :

sure

Customer:

THKS

Jay :

np

Customer:

JUST TO CLARIFY THEY ARE 12MM AND THEY ARE TIGHT

Jay :

I thought they were 14's. That could be the Maxima.

Jay :

Ok, Good that they are tight.

Jay :

How many miles on the car?

Customer:

133,000

Customer:

THATS KM

Jay :

Is it always hard to start?

Customer:

NOPE..NEVER

Jay :

I am talking about the start and stalling? How often does it do this is what I meant. All the time?

Customer:

NO JUST STARTED TO HESITATE A MONTH OR SO AGO BUT TODAY WAS THE FIRST TIME IT STALLED

Customer:

I LET IT SIT FOR A FEW HRS AND TRIED TO START IT AN IT STALLED 3 TIMES

Jay :

Oh, so this problem is in the beginning type stage.

Customer:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT

Jay :

This is the first time it really only gave you this problem

Jay :

Before this it just had a hesitation every once and a while?

Customer:

YUP FIRST TIME...JUST TRIED TO START IT AGAIN.;.NO IDLE KEEPS STALLING

Jay :

Oh

Jay :

So it's doing it now!

Customer:

YES

Jay :

Good!!!

Jay :

Try this

Jay :

Unplug the MAF sensor and see if it starts and idles. Do not give it gas

Jay :

just see if the car starts and idles.

Customer:

WHERE IS THAT SENSOR LOCATED

Jay :

this test may cause a service engine soon light

Jay :

This is located on the back side of the top part of the air filter box

Customer:

OK ILL CHKN IT

Customer:

OOPS CHK IT OUT NOW

Jay :

k

Customer:

ENGINE LIGHT APPEARS BUT RUNNING SMOOTH WITHOUT STALLING..NOW WHAT

Jay :

So that worked?

Customer:

YES

Customer:

BUT FOR HOW LONG

Jay :

That is just a test

Jay :

Turn the car off

Jay :

and plug it back in

Customer:

K

Jay :

Then disconnect the negative battery cable to for 10 mins to clear the codes

Jay :

It's a good chance you will need a MAF sensor

Jay :

90% of the time the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture has fallen out of spec. Not enough to cause a Service Engine Soon light but enough to cause the Air and fuel Mixture to be so off it can cause Stalling, poor acceleration, won't rev over a certain Rpm, and running issues. I would have the Air and Fuel mixture readings checked to verify. Checking the voltage will not show the fault, the air and fuel mixture will. If found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM.

Customer:

IF ITS DEFECTIVE CAN IT BE LEFT UNPLUG (TEMPORARILY)

Customer:

JUST SO ITS DRIVEABLE

Jay :

It's not recommended

Jay :

When it's unplugged it's unsafe to drive

Jay :

This was only a test I had you perform

Customer:

THE TRUCK RUNS WITHOUT IT DOES THAT MEAN ITS THE PROBLEM

Jay :

When that is unplugged it goes to default rich which is 75%

Jay :

when it should run at 100%

Customer:

OK THKS JAY YOU HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP...WE WILL BE IN TOUCH AGAIN IM SURE :)

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay :

Don't forget to press the Accept button if your satisfied with my help. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer