Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

RELUCTOR WHEEL works? how and when it fires cylinders?

Customer Question

I would like to know how does RELUCTOR WHEEL works? how and when it fires cylinders?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there!
The reluctor doesn't really fire the cylinders. In the case of a crank sensor for example, there are grooves in the wheel. The sensor is magnetic and reads the slots in the wheel, by the fact that there is a pulse generated. The magnet sends a signal when it is attracted to the metal on the wheel, then drops it when a slot appears.
This sends what we call pulse signal.
Here is an example.This example is a cam sensor, but the crank sensor works in the same manner

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but there are many kind of reluctor. Something like 64-2, 36-2. What does that mean? Tell me how the number of teeth or miss teeth can affect the ECU.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
There are several.
Some are only for cylinder identification. Like a crank reluctor, it has fewer teeth based on the # XXXXX cylinders.
A cam reluctor will have more because it is used to tell the ECM when to fire spark or injector pulse.
This example is for a crank position sensor.
graphic
Then if you have a cam sensor, this is more the way it will work.
graphic
These examples are for a nissan. All the manufacturers work the same in principle, but the # XXXXX slits or cogs that are read vary from manufacturer and really depends on the signal the ecm calculates.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was expecting you to tell me :

nissan sentra 1.8l crank reluctor is a xx teeth-2.

cam reluctor is xx teeth. maybe with a picture that shows position of both cam and crank reluctor when a cylinder is being fired up.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Oh, I see, well you didn't mention any specific car in your question.lol,
what year specifically would you like the information on and what real problem are you having?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2002 nissan sentra 1.8l. I have a P0335 code error. But I really want to know how do those things work.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, here are the specifics from the manual on how it works.
This sensor reads the teeth in the wheel attached to the flywheel. This causes a square signal pattern that the ecm reads.
If you have replaced the sensor and still have the code, it is possible you replaced the wrong sensor. It happens. This sensor lives on the back of the engine below the starter.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I accept but .......
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
But what? I don't want you to be unhappy and will do my best to answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was expecting you to tell me :

nissan sentra 1.8l crank reluctor is (example 200 teeth-2.)

cam reluctor is (example 60 teeth.)

maybe with a picture that shows position of both cam and crank reluctor when a cylinder is being fired up.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, lets see, I can't really show you a pic of the position when the engine is being fired up. They are spinning on the cam and crank. ?There is no specific position you see. When you crank the engine the sensor begin reading the wheels immediately.
The service manual has no diagrams or counts of the teeth. The crank should have 360 teeth. The cam reluctor is the same. This is how the engine is timed by the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, Thank you. I accept. Did you receive the money yet?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yes we are square and I thank you.