Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan/Datsun Maxima SE 2004 maxima 3.5 threw a p0021 and

Customer Question

2004 maxima 3.5 threw a p0021 and p0300 at same time. car was low on oil but has been changed since. Very rough idle, engine light flashing. Is this as simple as changing the ivt solenoid?? Is the p0300 a result of the p0021?? Any help would be great... thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

This is going to be tricky to check, but the negative battery cable where it mounts to the trans is under the battery. See if you can peak down and see if it's broken

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

I removed the grounds and cleaned them.. they look good

Jay :

The negative battery cable where it mounts to the transmission, you checked it already?

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

Yes this afternoon when I changed the oil..

Jay :

How many miles on the car?

Jay :

Does the car run ruff?

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

At idle and the engine light will flash.. The motor also sounds different when under load.. Has a deeper intake sound.. and It will ping at low rpms

Jay :

It is possible that the low engine oil level may have done something internal that is causing this.

Jay :

Do you have access to a scanner?

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

its a cheap hand held snap on..

Jay :

That blue one?

Jay :

I forget what it;s called

Jay :

Try this

Jay :

Unplug the MAF sensor and start the car and let it idle. See if it runs smoother, do not give it gas, just let it idle

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

ok.. need a min..

Jay :

I have 10 to 15 more mins then I need to get off for the night.

Jay :

If we need to continue, i will be online tomorrow around 7 pm EST and will be online till around 10 or 11 pm EST

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

no diff

Jay :

Then you may have internal damage. I would recommend a compression check at this point

Jay :

to determine if there is internal issues.

Jay :

See if you have low compression

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

whats low in a nissan

Jay :

Let me check what the spec is. Hold on a sec

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

you dont think it has anything to do with the ivt solenoid??

Jay :

Compression should be around 185 psi , and the lowest it could be, is 145

Jay :

That code is when the oil level is low, which you found out and took care of already.

Jay :

That code happens when the Intake timing solenoid gets air pockets from being low on oil

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

not good... Bank 2 is the radiator side correct..

Jay :

yes'

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

The code is still there after clearing.. would it still throw a code if the prob was the low oil??

Jay :

If the code is still there and oil level has been set, then you may want to use a advanced level scanner to monitor the intake timing sensors and solenoids. The low oil level may have damaged one of the solenoids. But this can only be determined with a advanced level scanner

Jay :

I need to get off line for the night. If you have any more questions on this, we will need to continue this tomorrow evening

JACUSTOMER-0r376wcl- :

thanks...

Jay :

I am online around 7 pm EST till around 10 or 11.

Jay :

Your welcome. Thanks Jay!