Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

1999 Nissan Maxima: the security system..fuel pump..security light

Hi I am having some trouble with my 1999 Nissan Maxima. I am suspicious that the security system is preventing it from starting cause the engine cranks fine I can hear the fuel pump but the security light is on when the key is in Run position. I Just changed the six coil packs and took it up the road and came home. It was working great. I shut it off and then tried to start it right away again and for a split second it fired then quit and after that no firing or anything. I need to know what the most likely thing that it could be. I have never before had any problems like this its been a great car. Can I somehow reset the system? I have tried both keys but no luck. thanks Ben
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! So the security light is on solid when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, you are right. It is the immobilizer keeping you from starting.
Some of the 99's had issues with the ecm losing the programming for the keys.
Here is the manual procedure to get the car out of lock mode. If it doesn't work, it will have to go to the dealer with all keys and have them reprogramed.
This is worth a try of course and I have had it work.

Just the circled part.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks! I tried this but no go so I'll go to dealer or would a generic scan tool like the otc genisys do this like my local repair shop has? If I take i to nissan what's the procedure called? thanks so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You need the dealer scan tool to break into the security system.
You need to have the security system relearned. Tell them the immobilizer has shut the car down, they will know what to do from there. On rare occasions the ecm will have to be replaced. Just a heads up.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok Thanx so much!