Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Expert Witness

on a 1999 nissan maxima code p1320 keeps coming back. it never

on a 1999 nissan maxima code p1320 keeps coming back. it never missfires it starts and runs perfect.i have continuity tested wiring from ecm to coils,cam sensor,both crank sensors,but i cant locate the condenser.i was told the car would not start if the condenser was the problem. any idea's?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
You have to replace the coils. The issue is a long and drawn out one and Nissan has never officially said what the problem is but what has been floated out there is that the internal coil insulation breaks down and allows energy to leak back into the computer system which triggers the light. There are a bunch of places to get the coils cheaply out there but many of them are the old ones that Nissan apparently dumped as surplus. (People have gotten coils at Autozone that had the Nissan logo ground off.) The only sure way to get the proper updated coils is to go to the dealer or .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the customer replaced some of the coils with ones he got online for 40 bucks a pop. are you telling me an aftermarket coil,even with no missfire would set that code? are there any other possibilties?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they can run perfectly and still throw the code and apparently the "cheap" coils are surplus or something from Nissan because I know of several instances where eBay or discount parts store coils still set a code, either right away or shortly after. I have never heard of something else fixing it and I have not dealt with one that Nissan coils did not fix.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i replace one at a time untill light stays off this customer is cheep
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
Sure, but I have no idea where to tell you to start. Maybe closest to the wiring harness? Usually if one misfires then that is a good starting point but not a sure thing. For a while I was going to do some experimenting on a car and see if I could stop it, figured there might be some cash to be made. But never got a chance to pursue it.