Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

nissan sentra car is stuck in park will not shift into any

car is stuck in park will not shift into any gear
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! Do the brake lights work on the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we are working on the answer problem I am inMichigan and the car is in tucson
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
lol, ok. Hopefully we can get it rolling again!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she says the brakelights work
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the problem is likely the park position switch inside the shifter. It may be out of sync. There is a manual overide button for the shifter, she can try to push that and see if it will then shift out of park.
Here is a diagram of it's location.
What she can do is take it out of park, then put it back in and hopefully everything will return to normal. At the very least she can get the car out of park and drive it.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it worked but we were wondering if it is okay to drive and what repair is required and how much and how hard is it to fix . Is the car safe to use until she can get it to a shop for repairs?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
The car is safe to drive, that is why the button is there.
As for the cost of repairs, without knowing what is actually wrong with the car, it is difficult to say. If she has a volt meter and can take the car apart a bit, we can try to diagnose the problem. Otherwise, I think a fair rough estimate would be likely around $200 if it is the park position switch on the shifter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you know if there is any recalls covering this issue and or if the issue could be covered under warranty?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
There aren't any recalls that I am aware of. If it turns out to be something on the transmission itself it may be covered under the 5yr/60k warranty,but it is not likely.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.