Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2003 Altima: 2.5L..wont start..many symptoms of the fuel pump going

Customer Question

My 2003 Altima 2.5L won't start. It had many symptoms of the fuel pump going, then died last week, so I put in a new fuel pump. However, now despite the pump working, the car won't start. Battery seems to be fully charged and OK. Starter tries to go. Just not getting any spark. When the car died, it fired once but didn't start, and then wouldn't fire anymore. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! Have you checked for any codes in the commputer with an OBDII reader?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I checked and got the following codes:
P0183 - Fuel Temp. Sensor A Circ. High Input
P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circ. High Input
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, these are both fuel pump codes, are you certain the car is not getting spark?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not certain, but I did just replace the fuel pump a few days ago, so maybe the codes were leftover from before I did so?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, my thoughts as well,
Can you tell me if the security light is on solid when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it is off when the key's in the ON position.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
well, I was looking for what is happening when cranking the engine, not when the key is on.
We are going to have to find out if the car has spark and injector pulse.
Pull one of the coils and set the end near a bolt on the engine and crank the engine. You should see spark jump from the end of the boot to the metal ground.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, should've been clearer: the light is not on when cranking, either.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, well lets check for spark to see if we can tell what is missing here and get this going for you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My apologies for the delay, but I went out of town soon after your reply; I will be checking the spark as soon as possible to get back to you.